Miami at Marshall Saturday at 7:00 on ESPN+

Since so many ( including me) may be driving home from Detroit during the game time, I should mention that besides ESPN+, you should be able to listen to at least part of the game on either 980 Dayton or 101.3 FM out of Richmond or perhaps an app on your phone.

Marshall had a really strong teams last year and they hammered us in Millett, but most of those guys are gone. This year The Herd is 2-4. Here is their record:

Queens Home won 89-73
Radford Neutral loss 62-66
Cayman Island classic
Utah State Neutral lost 60-83
FIU Neutral Won 80-69
Oakland Neutral lost 71-78
#16 Kentucky Away lost 82-118

Their probable starting lineup:

6-1 SR Kamdyn Kurfman 10.2ppg

6-8 JR Obinna Ancholi - Killen
16ppg 5.3 rebounds

6-10 Soph Jacob Connor from Dayton, I think we recruited him
8ppg

6-8 JR Nate Martin
13.2 ppg 9.rpg

6- 3 Grad St Kevin Voyles
14.8 ppg

Their top 2 subs ar 6-10 and 6-9

So they are very big compared to us, hopefully our quickness and skills will overcome that. Obviously, with their record so far, they have plenty of issues and are not at the same level as last years teams. They lost a lot.

Miami is 3-3, but this starts a run of 5 tough opponents with 4 of those on the road. Time for our team come together and grow up quickly. Help could be on the way before we get through this stretch as there are good reasons to hope that both Mirambeau and/or Potter will be playing before we get another home game.

1 Like

Travis said tonight that Potter is doubtful for Marshall but probable for Ohio State.

1 Like

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but it is such brilliant and insightful analysis I thought I would post it again! :joy: “Before OSU you might want to look at Marshall. We play them next. While their record isn’t good, at 2-4, they are big. Real big. Their starting lineup includes, 6’8”, 6’8", 6’10" and off the bench they bring in 6’7", 6’9",6’10, 7’0"."

Looking forward to watching this game tonight in the afterglow of the MAC Football Championship!

Each team enters the game searching for the right combinations, both having lost key contributors from last season due to graduation, NIL payouts, and what appear to be academic issues in Miami’s case. Marshall’s PG (Taylor) and C (Handlogten) are now playing at Mississippi St. and Florida, respectively, after receiving 6-figure NIL deals, while MVP (Kinsey) has moved on to the Utah G League team.

Both teams are capable of winning, though I am certain Marshall is relishing its first home game in 26 days. Vegas has the Herd giving 10.5, though that seems heavy to me. It will come down to whether Miami can hold up against Marshall’s bigger and deeper front court.

There are a couple of games within this game to watch. Miami freshman PG Evan Ipsaro has looked good in orchestrating the offense, and is clearly a key to success this year for the Redhawks. Marshall has struggled in its half court sets relying on shooter Kamden Curfman to mostly play through. But the Herd’s own freshman PG, lightly-recruited Ryan Nutter out of Dublin Coffman HS, has been getting more court time and may be poised to assume the reigns of the Herd going forward. If so, it should be fun to watch the two freshmen PG’s go head-to-head tonight.

The Herd lineup also features Jacob Conner, a 6-9 Swiss Army knife-type player out of Alter HS. Conner’s mother (Meredith Conner nee Shelley) is a Miami alum and former women’s basketball standout for the Redhawks during the 1993-1997 seasons. She holds the #1 spot for career FG% (.582) and is #9 in FT % (.808). Both Miami and Marshall are in hot pursuit of younger brother Brady Conner, a 6-6 PG, who also stars at Alter HS. I think Mom will be home watching Brady this evening, with Dad in attendance in Huntington.

4 Likes

We’re winning?!

Up 12 - 8 At 9 minute mark

15 - 12, Ipsaro with 8

2 Likes

23 - 20, Miami 30% from floor

1 Like

32-24 Miami at half. Pretty good half overall.

2 Likes

I just got home and tuned in with us up 11

Greg Waddell on the call is a treat he’s so exciting :joy:

1 Like

He has to be better than the Marshall announcers on ESPN +

2 Likes

Ipsaro with 11, Cooper and Dean 6 each

58 - 49. Cooper 15, Ipsaro 14.

Our guards (Ipsaro and Cooper) are having a great game so far. Bultman is way more comfortable playing as a facilitator. This is likely our best game thus far. But it is fair to say that Marshall is considerably worse than last year .

1 Like

I’m not sure it really matters if opponent is better or worse at this point. Later, hopefully yes.

5 Likes

Agreed. I expected a completely different game. It is good that we can build confidence. We are 14pts ahead

1 Like

71 - 53. Dean with 13.

75 x 59.

2 Likes

75 - 59. Shooting has really improved this half.

1 Like