Miami at Evansville Monday at 8:00 on ESPN+

Last year Miami was 12-20 (6-12). while Evansville was 5-27 ( 1-19). Both teams were starting rebuilding programs under first year coaches. The Purple Aces won 78-74 in Oxford. A Miami connection is that Evansville Head Coach Dave Ragland was an assistant coach at Indiana State when Miami assistant Christian Smith played for the Sycamores.

In last year’s game 6-6 Jr Kenny Strawberry had 23 points and 6-10 SR Yacine Toumy had 15. Strawberry was a second team preseason all MVC pick. Last week the Aces won an exhibition game vs Division III Wabash 76-66. 6-6 Freshman Chuck Bailey had 16 points and 6-7 Jr Tanner Cuff contributed 14.

I have seen different starting lineups listed, but I think the correct lineup for us is our 3 transfer portal guys and our two sophomores who started some last year. So Dean, Hunter, Bultman, Mabrey, and Morris. We have lost our top returning player in Safford and our second team all conference preseason center Anderson Mirambeaux is likely out for awhile. I would expect all 11 remaining scholarship players to get in some reguiar action. One nice thing about this group is that all these guys are good players and should be quite competitive. One bad thing is that not all may be healthy enough to play right now . I am expecting a lot more out of both Morris and Mabrey this season.

1 Like

Basketball season! Excited for the game tomorrow night. I like the direction the program is going and look forward to seeing the development of returning players, as well as a plethora of new faces.

3 Likes

My unreasonably high expectation-level for the season was dampened a bit by losing Safford, but still super-excited to see what we look like tomorrow night. Even though we’re young, we’ve got some guys who have played a lot.

Can’t believe it’s time for college hoops. Can’t wait!

1 Like

Evansville grads include two of the great actors of our time.

IMG_2790

3 Likes

This is awesome. One night, over the summer, I sat in a bar about a foot away from Freddy Mercury when I was in England. I call him that because I thought his performance was spot on in the movie. Just well, well done.

1 Like

Looks like we’re listed at -2.5. Evansville is 332 in the preseason Kenpom rankings. It might take some time to get the new pieces fully integrated, but this is still a game we should be winning.

4 Likes

For sure. Last season we lost by 4 at Millett. Miami went on to really improve game by game while Evansville didn’t. I’m expecting some ugly play while the freshmen adjust to the speed and the new faces work to gel, but we should win. I’m also expecting a similar season where the team we’re watching in November isn’t what we’re seeing later in the season. That said, we should be good enough to beat Evansville in spite of that.

Other expectation, we’re going to see a lot more tempo and high pressure defense with the deeper bench.

4 Likes

https://x.com/miamioh_bball/status/1721505440159178814?s=46&t=kkeF2AzE13jVd9hF623X4A

2 Likes

Great to see Anderson M. in the picture.

NOW LFG!!!

5 Likes

Merging the two threads. Will also use this as the prediction thread for game 1. LFG!

Miami 84
Evansville 78

The Evansville forum is surprisingly confident…

We win 73-80. Big night from the transfers. One of the freshman steps up and has a double double.

A little surprised we are 2.5 point favorite on the road with a new roster

Evansville was quite bad last year. Though how do you set a line on a team with 2 D2 guys, a transfer, and a bunch a freshmen expected to see time?

I’m sure everyone, coaches included, go into this one a bit unsure of what to expect.

3 Likes

Blake Anderson homecoming!

Defense goes out the window. Shooters gotta shoot! 88 - 81 Miami.

For Yellow, looking ahead:

https://x.com/hd_dirtking/status/1721586708842467782?s=46&t=kkeF2AzE13jVd9hF623X4A

1 Like

Did you just say….

SPAULDING!!!

1 Like

From the MAC board, " Reece Potter questionable with back issues". When you combine that with Mirambeaux being out, it leaves us with only Morris and Kotecki taller than 6-6.

Bummer…was hoping to Potter in action…Kotecki has a Junior’s body, hope he gets after it.

Miami wins 80-78.

Jeff Lisath, Tony Lehman, and Harp enjoy the good start!

1 Like

Agreed, hopefully, Potter can be ready for game time, especially if there’s limited risk of re-injury. Granted, at 7’1", I don’t know a lot of back issues that can’t be exacerbated.