Miami at Denver series

OSU could care less about Miami. The feeling is mutual.

1 Like

I doubt our student body feels the same.

This. Students and alumni would love a series with Ohio State, and yes they’re acting petty and butthurt to be freezing us out.

That being said playing or not playing OSU and BG really does’t affect our product on the ice, and that stinks right now. People say we’re “playing better this year.” Are we, or is the conference having a historically mediocre year? Outside of Denver and SCSU, nobody is even ranked at the moment. The NCHC is not the week-in and week-out grind that it’s been in previous years. This should be the year to make a move, yet Miami is firmly ensconced in last place again.

No amount of tireless recruiting is going to attract top talent to this mess. And don’t talk about academics and the Miami experience. You want to compete in the NCHC, then you need to be bringing kids in who are focused on getting to the NHL not getting a job at P&G.

4 Likes

I have been there since before we hire Bergeron. Every year it seems the season ticket base shrinks a little more. I thought the time to go was after Rico failed to get it going again. At that time the CCHA would have loved to have us back. Losing breeds more losing, and there seems to be no upward movement at all. From having 3 season tickets, I am now down to attending 3 games a season, and even that is not something I have really enjoyed. Most of the games have not even been competitive.

I believe we need to rebuild by going to a level where we can compete and then win again. The difference between our rosters and those of the top of the NCHC is too great to allow for significant improvement.

2 Likes

How about Colorado,College,Merrimack,UConn, etc.? Plenty of teams rise up with GOOD RECRUITING!

I get why Mannino is upset about what happened, but Rico had so completely lost control by the end of that season that there was no way to retain him and the staff.

3 Likes

Should have retained Mannino as asst HC/ recruiting guru.
Just sayin.

Two notes:

1. I have heard that it is difficult to recruit from Oxford, Ohio because there are not a lot of junior teams located near campus. Miami is kind of out on an island when it comes to seeing players and recruiting them.

2. Miami and Bowling Green have ceased playing because the Bergeron and Eigner families are very close and they found out that competing against each other wasn’t something they wanted to do.

3 Likes

I think some of our best recruiting classes were credited to relationships with USHL coaches at the time and building awareness of our program with Michigan/Ohio based players before they went off to juniors. Playing games @ Michigan, Michigan State and OSU were a big key to that.

2 Likes

Miami got a lot of recruits from the Blue Jackets youth programs,Youngstown Phantoms,and Carmel,and Northern Indiana.
Past tense.Should be addressed.

That’s not a good decision. Miami has no in state home and home games.
Plus the PR that follows locally.plus good crowds and recruiting.

Your point #2 doesn’t tie in at all with what VFTG reported a year ago. No Ohio St., BG on future schedules – View From the Glass

If I had to guess, the rift has something to do with how the recruitment of Will Cullen was handled but I have no insights, only speculation.

Back to lurking.

1 Like

I heard it from Ty Eigner himself.

1 Like

Weird that Berge has been so outspoken publicly about wanting to schedule BUGS then.

1 Like

The BG series could be due to factors not related to the coaches relationship as well. The last contract of game series were played home and home within the same season. Maybe one side was insistent on changing that and the other was insistent on keeping it. Maybe one side wanted a larger financial guarantee for their road games.

1 Like

Yo @Bonk … check this out.

Back to lurking.

DU article referencing VFTG:

Reddit discussion where this is referenced:

1 Like

I think Sayler’s comments about not wanting to cross into another time zone to play sports speaks volumes about why our football and basketball scheduling is far more vertical (north/south) than horizontal (east/west). In football, Ohio, Toledo, Bowling Green, Kent and Western Michigan play at Wyoming, San Diego, San Jose, Washington and UCLA. We play at Miami of Florida, UMass, Purdue, James Madison and Western Kentucky - all in the Eastern Time Zone. We are by far the most Midwest/East Coast regional of all MAC sports programs. Our two most successful women’s programs - softball and field hockey - are the exceptions.

Is Sayler aware that for most of hockey season, Phoenix is in the same time zone as Colorado?

2 Likes

I also believe I read we are playing at Arizona State in hockey next year in the non conference. So we dont want them in our conference but we will play them non conference ???

1 Like

Lurker, I don’t think it’s going to win any awards, but I wrote you a poem. I hope it will bring us a win. Here goes:

“As I was at the horse track working,
my accountant was smirking.
Not far away in LA, Miley Cyrus was twerking.
And all the while, The Lurker was lurking.”

You’re welcome!