Miami at Davidson, Saturday 2pm

I guess I’ll start the pre-game report and Dick can fill in the blanks when he staggers back tonight from the Van Wert Cheetahs.

Davidson is 6-3, on a three game win streak and 4-0 at home. Their last game was a convincing win over Campbell. First 500 fans received a can of Cream of Mushroom soup.

Miami offer Bobby Durkin plays for the Wildcats and was just named conference rookie of the week.

Stats for the two teams are strikingly similar. Davidson has three foreign players on their roster and two players from St. Alban’s in Washington DC. Another big game for Miami and a good test to measure progress.

2 Likes

I had planned on driving up for the game but I’m going to be staying at home taking care of my Husky.
Some folks from the Charlotte area Alumni Chapter are going to be repping Miami.

Go RedHawks.

I’ve watched Davidson a couple times and at the risk of angering the woofing gods (s/o @mollautt), we ought not feel intimidated, especially after Wednesday night in Columbus.

Davidson is very good at home, so I’m not expecting a win (I think we’re about 10-point dogs) but I do expect us to compete. Ken Pomeroy currently has Davidson ranked 122nd, not where we are but where we want to be. They’re a few spots behind Vermont and Toledo, a few ahead of Wright State.

They go about 9 deep, with 3 guys averaging double figures, and a few more in the 8 to 9 points/game range. Their leading scorer is a 6-10 R-Sr, so Morris/Potter/Kotecki will have their hands full. Another leading scorer is Sr G Grant Huffman out of St. Edward’s in Cleveland.

On our side, I hope Cooper and Dean are available, but coming off illness I worry about their wind and effectiveness. Ipsaro ans Mabrey need to have good all-around games, including knocking down shots. Morris must play without fouling, and the team has to limit turnovers. It’s the same story every game with respect to the latter. I hope we believe we can win, and go steal one tomorrow. As good as the Marshall win was last weekend, a win tomorrow would be a real statement win and a great way to go into exams next week.

2 Likes

Too bad there is no TV coverage.

Fairly certain it’s on ESPN+

2 Likes

Your right. Miami’s Game Notes says ESPN+. Davidson’s schedule page just said Radio and Live Stats

Thanks!

Dick is in Albequerque on day two of my drive to Nevada.Glad you guys have pretty well covered the game. I bought gasoline in Oklahoma for 2.33, although New Mexico is still a little over 3.00. I had 74 degree weather in southern Missouri yesterday.It was in the 60’s all day today, but a cold front is coming tomorrow and it may not get up to 30. No precipitation though.

2 Likes

Good news is we’ve only allowed 6 points at the first media timeout. Bad news is we’ve scored 0.

Bultman drives are so slow.

3 Likes

This is much uglier than I expected. Glad I didn’t make the 3 hour drive over to Charlotte.

2 Likes

Commentators mentioned that Mirambeaux is returning next game, which hopefully confirms no continuing academic issues.

5 Likes

Miami with 6 made field goals and 6 turnovers at the U4 timeout.

I dont remember skogman or whatever at Buffalo

We look young, physically smaller, and not nearly crisp enough in our movements and ball-handling. Disappointing first half, for sure.

1 Like

Tough to watch. Marshall must be realllly shitty.

Davidson’s offense can’t be any secret. Disappointing to give up 40 in a half.

1 Like

Auburn just went on a 29-6 run to overtake Indiana. So there’s that…

We’re gonna find out who, if anybody, has some personal pride on the defensive end.

Allowing 28 points in the paint (to our 4) and 16/24 shooting inside the arc is part size disadvantage, but a good part lack of fight too.

Not a good half at all.

Tough to watch

We are making these Atlantic 10 teams look really good

My dirtiest fantasy is that Miami develops a competent D1 basketball program…dirty, I know, but a man can dream…

1 Like