Miami alum named Starbucks CEO

Big jump! Great to see!

2 Likes

The Niccols recently gave the basketball program $2 million.

3 Likes

Amazing. Uber, Chipotle, Instagram and Starbucks all impacted by Miami alums in leadership positions.

Recently, I’ve been feeling a little uncertain about how Miami can compete in drawing new students. I felt like its “specialness” was being a little tarnished and that it might be seen as a “safety school” for kids who couldn’t get into B1G programs. This type of news is reassuring that Miami’s best days are now and in years to come.

2 Likes

Lynn Good, CEO of Duke Energy, is also a Miami alum.

3 Likes

SBUX up 21+ % at 11:25 AM today…if only a fraction of that advance could be directed to Miami ICA, the school could have a new luxury BB arena, Ritz-Carlton style hotel and at least two new SBUX outlets in those facilities…a dream most here would love to have come into real life.

2 Likes

lol, Chipotle moved its headquarters from Denver to Newport Beach (where he lives) because he told them he wouldn’t take the job if he had to move to Denver. And now he’s gone.

Lol. Wonder if he’ll get Starbucks to do that.

Chipotle can’t be too upset, based on the profitability and stock price results of his 6.5 year tenure. I’m guessing most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies stay less than 10 years.

1 Like

Absolutely. 800% increase in stock price over 6 years? They could have moved the HQ to Ecuador and would still be ecstatic with those results.

5 Likes

I’m pretty certain Starbucks has a dedicated aircraft that can get him from John Wayne airport to Boeing Field almost as quick as his chauffeur could get him to downtown LA from Newport Beach - whenever he needs to be there.

1986 Graduate Kevin King was announced as Donatos Pizza CEO recently
https://www.franchisetimes.com/franchise_news/new-donatos-ceo-kevin-king-ready-to-tackle-system-improvements/article_6e2c22d8-2e55-11ef-b053-97d0f9ced598.html#:~:text=Kevin%20King%2C%20right%2C%20is%20set,Papa%20Murphy’s%20and%20Domino’s%20Pizza.

1 Like

According to CNBC, Starbucks gave Niccol an $85,000,000 bonus.

Just for clarification, it’s not $85 million in cash immediately. Here’s the paragraph if anyone is interested

“And for leaving Chipotle, Niccol will receive a $10 million cash bonus and $75 million in equity to make up for what he’s forfeiting with his departure from the burrito chain. The equity will vest over a three-to-four-year period, based on company performance and Niccol’s tenure.”

1 Like

Threw a fresh $200 on my Starbucks app and have gone everyday since they announced the hire. Love and honor.

4 Likes

Here’s the whole compensation package

1 Like

Hoping Brian will send more money Miami’s way in the future!

1 Like

Whereas he no longer needs them or has a stake in making the shares more valuable, maybe he could donate the Chipotle shares he owns to Miami for a new or improved basketball arena. And the sooner Coach Steele offers his son a scholly, the better. I don’t care if the kid doesn’t know if the ball is pumped or stuffed. They good news is it sounds like he definitely knows.

From a John Altman Institute facebook post congratulating Niccol:

Currently, Miami and Miami University Farmer School of Business alumni lead dozens of of the world’s largest companies on the list of Fortune 1000, including:

👉 Rob Davis, Chairman and CEO, Merck (No. 69)

👉 Lynn Good, Chair, President, and CEO, Duke Energy Corporation (No. 141)

👉 Stephanie Ferris, President and CEO, FIS (No. 283)

👉 Chris Gorman, Chairman and CEO, KeyBank (No. 459)

👉 Todd Schneider, President and CEO, Cintas Corporation (No. 473)

👉 Brendan Foley, President and CEO, McCormick & Company (No. 548)

👉 David Dauch, Chairman and CEO, American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc (No. 558)

👉 Neil Hunn, President and CEO, Roper Technologies, Inc. (No. 607)

👉 Jason Lippert, President and CEO, Lippert (No. 634)

👉 Lawson Whiting, President and CEO, Brown-Forman Brands (No. 751)

👉 Denise Paulonis, President and CEO, Sally Beauty Holdings (No. 768)

👉 Julie Felss Masino, President and CEO, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store (No. 858)

👉 Jeffrey Edwards, Chairman, President and CEO, Installed Building Products (No. 960)

Plus:
Chrissy Taylor - CEO at Enterprise Mobility (rental cars), privately held (played field Hockey at Miami)
Brent Gledhill - CEO at William Blair, investment bank

3 Likes

Brent Gledhill is my cousin and my roommate freshman year at Miami. Not a big Miami sports
Fan

Not a big Miami sports fan???

Jeff Osterfeld, CEO, Owner, and founder of Penn Station.
Miami Grad
Lives In Cincinnati
Sports fan

4 Likes