Men's Basketball Transfer Portal

I would assume, and perhaps I shouldn’t make this assumption, that if Bhyre is indeed coming to visit Miami, that Steele has indicated at least some modicum of interest. I think adding a combo guard and a PF type post who can contribute some meaningful minutes right away, is not out of the realm of possibility, but I am not in the inner circle. I am also not assuming everyone you listed Nickskin will actually be on the team next year. So who knows. I don’t.

1 Like

no doubt CoolPapa. Has to be interest. There is such a log jam right now but perhaps this portalling thing is going to open up space in Oxford

If Anderson stays at his current weight I think a transfer post is more important than guard. Morris has to learn not to foul, and Mirambeaux cannot anchor a MAC-title worthy defense over 300 lbs

I can’t fathom he’d just randomly decide to visit Miami without significant interest or an offer.

I’d think it’s fair to say that our coaching staff (and every other staff) isn’t 100% sure of who is/isn’t planning to return next year. With the portal and year-by-year scholarships, it’s a two way street of planning, wondering, feeling duped, and reacting.

The crazy part to me is that the portal opens today. Every coach in the NCAA/NIT got their matchup yesterday, but also have to keep an eye on all the portal happenings today. I don’t understand that timing.

1 Like

With Etzler and Tatum in the portal, we are still one more scholarship over what we need, I believe to fit our freshman class. But if Steele wants to add from the portal, 2 or more spots need to still open up. I would not be surprised to see one or more of the names you list above as frontcourt players enter the portal.

1 Like

We’re still one over:

Just looking at where the current team has played:
PG: Cooper/Ipsaro
SG: Cooper/Safford/Mabrey/Lewis
W: Safford/Williams/Lewis/Elmer/Mabrey/Smith
F: Williams/Lewis/Safford/Elmer/Kotecki/Smith
C: Mirambeaux/Morris/Potter/Kotecki/Rylee/Harrison

I think you can ask questions around if you want to keep putting Lewis out of position at F or bolster it with someone who still moves and shoots well, but has a bit more muscle (Byhre). I worry pushing Elmer at the F as a freshman might not be the best for his development either, but I could be wrong.

And like @CoolPapa said, with the team a scholarship over still, we don’t know who might be out.

2 Likes

good point on Lewis playing out of position.

To me, Lewis is more suited for the wing or 3 position than the 4 or PF position. Although to be honest, to play the 2 or 3, I think Lewis’ shooting needs to improve.

3 Likes

I’m less concerned with us getting a 6-8/6-9 bruising power forward than I am with just adding overall talent. I don’t think that was our issue this year. Like Jive said, Millner and Shumate played the 4 for Toledo. Thomas for Kent. All stretch type guys who can defend multiple positions. Sammy Hunter for Akron was 6-9 but basically a perimeter player.

In modern basketball (at all levels including the NBA) it’s exceedingly rare for teams to play with two post players. It messes up spacing and makes you vulnerable on defense. To go national, Kansas doesn’t really play with a center or a traditional power forward. UCLA has a bunch of wings at the top of their roster. Or to compare us to other mid-majors who had success this year Florida Atlantic and College of Charleston both have one traditional big man surrounded by a bunch of guards.

What’s more important is how many different positions can they defend? Guys who can guard multiple positions - i.e. Morgan Safford - are the types of players we should be targeting.

6 Likes

His shooting splits over his first two seasons are .321/.290/.774 and .436/.291/.651. He was serviceable this season as a defender and a guy who could eat minutes at the 4, but I wouldn’t expect him to get a ton of playing time moving forward as we bring in new players (barring a major jump in shooting efficiency).

1 Like

Most teams play with 4 perimeter guys now and Steele seems like a believer in that style of play. Given that Mirambeaux, Morris, and Potter seem locked in as the top 3 big guys, I’m not sure where that leaves Rylee and Harrison as PFs who aren’t really perimeter players.

2 Likes

I’m going to guess that the “easy” ones are done, Tatum and Etzler, and now the hard conversations are taking place with a few other players. It will be interesting to see who enters the portal for Miami, if anyone, next.

I don’t believe CoolPapa ever said to play 2 post players at one time. I think he meant we need some versatility at the position, especially when we play teams with bigger and/or more physically imposing interior players. That is where we had difficulty matching up this year. We also had rebounding issues this past year.

Pitt’s big man John Hugley is portalling.

Former Chet Mason player at Brush. Big time recruit with Miami offer (and Xavier during Steele tenure)

1 Like

Another former Miami offered player has just hit the portal, Louisville’s Sydney Curry.

Former Miami commit Sydney Curry in the portal

1 Like

I feel like if he could just bulk up a bit he might be more physically imposing on the court…

3 Likes
1 Like

Absolute NO BRAINER. Take this kid, Mike Bramos was the last Greek player Miami had and the program hasn’t been the same since he left. More Greek players!!!

3 Likes

Kamari Williams enters the portal.