Men’s Hoops schedule

Puncho?

Puncho, we hardly knew ye!

2 Likes
2 Likes

A few years ago, I heard an interview with Devin. He said that Herb was recruiting Pancho more than him. Pancho committed and Devin did so later. He said he didn’t know anything about the school. He just wanted to get out of Miami. “Anywhere” I believe he narrowed his options down.

2 Likes

Devin made himself a very good player. He was a terrible free throw shooter when he arrived and had become a clutch guy from the stripe by the time he left.

4 Likes

One thing that has always stood out to me about Devin is that even when I went to practice, if he missed a free throw he would react with anger. Competitive guy. I once told one of our coaches after Devin finished, that some of the guys on the current team were so soft they wouldn’t survive a practice against Devin. I don’t think he appreciated it. But, it was true.

3 Likes

My younger sister was an undergrad while Devin was there. She said he used to come to the hockey games and stand on the glass with the other students (old Goggin). But was always polite enough to let the shorter people (virtually everyone) stand in front if the standing crowd was more than one deep.

4 Likes

My three-year-old met Devin at the MAC Big West Silver Bowl Event in Vegas in 1995. He was fascinated by the dreads. I had ordered him a Miami hoops T-shirt with a basketball with dreads coming out of the top of it. Could hardly get him out of it after he met DoubleD.

3 Likes

Am hearing that a home-and-home series with Marshall may be in the offing, with round one in Oxford this season.

1 Like

Good! Let’s play the first game then cancel the series.

1 Like

@ Georgia 11/14

1 Like

Georgia was lousy last season. Lost against GT, Wofford, Gardner-Webb, East Tennessee State, George Mason, and won just one SEC game. We should be all over them even if they do have a new coach as well.

So far, just based on the above comments I see UC, Indiana, Indiana State, Little Rock, Bellarmine, Georgia Evansville(x2) and maybe Marshall. This schedule is looking much stronger. The two Indiana’s got me thinking it would be interesting to play all the D1 programs in one state: in Indiana alone that would be like 8 teams.

Indiana does something close. Indiana, Notre Dame, Purdue, and Butler do a four team tourney at whatever the pacers arena is called now. Would be great to expand it, but I’m sure those schools will say something about “diluting the product.” Are the others Ball State, IPFW (or whatever it’s called now), IUPUI (same), Indiana State, and Evansville? Just going off the top of my head from my brief time living in that state. Feels like I’m missing one or two.

1 Like

Here’s what the schedule seems to be right now:

11/7: vs Evansville
11/14: @ Georgia
11/20: vs Indiana in Indy
11/26: vs Little Rock
11/29: vs Jackson State
12/3: vs Indiana State
12/14: @ UC
12/17: @ Bellarmine
12/22: @ Wright State

I think that’s already more D1 OOC games than last year?

3 Likes

Missed Valpo. Southern Indiana (located in Evansville) also begins it’s first year at D1 this year.

1 Like

That looks like a vary respectable schedule…tougher than the past few years and a better magnet for recruiting. Steele continues to impress me with his recruiting, scheduling and team building activities. Miami basketball appears headed in the right direction after being lost in the wilderness for far too long.

4 Likes

Between just playing division 1 teams in only Indiana and Ohio you’d hit like 22-23 D-1 teams. If we ever hit the skids financially and had to reduce costs, it would still be a cost effective and also high quality schedule.

1 Like

Are the Little Rock and Jackson State games in Oxford?

Yes, those are home games. Those + the Indiana game are part of a “multi team event” that we are paying 75k to be the “sponsoring institution” of.

4 Likes