MAC tennis championships

Miami upset Western Michigan yesterday to advance to the finals of the MAC tennis tournament today at 1 Eastern against Toledo. Let’s go RedHawks!

3 Likes

Would be good to see them pull this off. Been a few years since the last championship. Overall, women’s tennis has won a ton of them.

2 Likes

Currently losing 3-1 to Toledo, but we’re winning or tied in the three remaining singles matches.

1 Like

Was gonna be a 4-3 match either way so let’s make it go our way

Toledo beats Miami to win the championship. Bummer. Great showing by the Red and White!

Real bummer. Women’s tennis has like 24 MAC championships, most of any MU team by far. I hope they bring in some talent and get over the hump. They were much better overall this year.

1 Like

They should have everyone back nxt yr. Coach Rosas did a nice job - really needs an indoor facility though as they play and practice all the way in Hamilton (except a few matches in late spring).

4 Likes

He is a great dude. I knew him when he signed on under Ray R. It was almost 30 years ago. I think he could get to top 50 in the country for women’s tennis. . Women’s sports at MU have that edge and there are few better cities to be in than where we are for tennis. Odd, but true.

2 Likes

Didn’t I see an indoor tennis rendering some time ago? Seems like a public-private facility could at least partially pay for itself via memberships, clinics, lessons and rentals from town & even students. I’d think there would be at least 25-50 faculty members alone.
$200/mo memberships x 100 members= $20K/mo = $240k/yr. $80K/yr from youth clinics and $20k/yr from lessons. ~$340k/yr in outside revenue (conservative) pays for staff, ops and some debt svc. Prob more rev than any facility other than Goggin (but MUCH cheaper to operate). Build it and win the MAC every yr.

3 Likes

Years ago, my brother did a business plan for this. The net-net was profitability would be break even at best via demand, insurance, overhead, and maintenance. But, that plan never considered pickleball (wasn’t invented) or solar for electricity (wasn’t efficient) or grant money to help underserved communities (wasn’t around). I think with winter/summer camps and a pool/fitness center it could actually work in 2024. Again, not a huge profit center, but a big value add. If it ever gets built, women’s tennis will become top 50 every year and maybe men’s tennis could return. That would be great. I only played in one official match at Miami along with 2 exhibition matches and one tournament, but the experience profoundly shaped my life. I wish nothing but the best for the ladies and their coach who is a great guy. Little known fact: he was a top 100 player in the world as a junior and won some big matches as a pro.

4 Likes