MAC Swim and Dive

The MAC is folding Men’s swim and dive and the MVC is adding it. Makes sense that Miami and Ball State were the only MAC schools while 5 current MVC schools were in the MAC.

Will be a little strange to have Men’s and Women’s competing in seperate conferences though.

MVC To Sponsor Men’s Swimming & Diving in 2024-25 - Missouri Valley Conference (mvc-sports.com)

Men’s Swim & Dive to Join Missouri Valley Conference in 2024-25 - Miami University RedHawks (miamiredhawks.com)

I think that might spell the end of men’s swimming at MU. Can’t imagine winning the MVC is a strategic priority of the AD’s. Doesn’t help us win the Reeces Pieces Cup.

I believe Miami is at or near the minimum number of sports needed to be in FBS, so I don’t think cutting any sports is on the table right now. Especially mens swimming which is pretty cheap. <8 scholarships, shared coaching staff with the women’s team, existing facility in good condition at the Rec.

You could bring back men’s tennis and it would be cheaper to run. We had 2.5 scholarships split amongst the entire team. All our trips were by van. This will never happen but I am still mad we, wrestling and men’s soccer got cut. All were solid programs. Heck,soccer was top 25 in the country.

I’m still hoping for men’s and women’s LAX and women’s hockey in time for my yet unconceived grand kids.

Also, the notion of “minimum amount of sports to stay D1” is going to be tested as schools get more in the red via this new football arms race.

3 Likes

continues to be criminal that miami does not have a men’s soccer team

1 Like

What’s crazy is that before Akron got good, we used to tune them. People forget how great that team was. We always beat big name teams.

I do see a problem for us. We have one lady who coaches both teams. With the two teams in different conferences, that may create scheduling conflicts which would force us to have separate coaches.

The MU medical school will simply clone her. Problem solved!

Oh wait. We don’t have a medical school. Problem is back.