MAC losing members?

NIU is well known in S.Bend.too!

https://x.com/skylerkisellus/status/1839714402624299327?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

Twas’. I just want to know what the detrimental loss would be to the MAC.

1 Like

The annual Wall Street Journal college ranking section placed Miami at # 426…very, very disappointing. Of course, it all gets down to what’s being measured and how the weights to the several categories are calculated…but 426 is just terrible…especially when you look at many of the schools ranked above Miami.

Hopefully, Miami’s President and Trustees read these things…and make decisions and recommendations accordingly.

We were 145 in us news or something like that.

1 Like

https://x.com/tjaltimore/status/1839296592093815279?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

3 Likes

This is the only one that matters because this is the first reference point for potential students along with their parents and high school counselors. It’s also the only one that almost every media outlet in the state will write a piece on. It matters, and Miami’s administration should be working out what metrics need to change and how in order to get back into the top 100.

What blows me away was 77th for Farmer for undergraduate business.

Did some Google research. Georgia Tech has a 3B endowment, is an AAU member, did 1.3B in research last year despite not having a medical school and they’re one of the hardest public universities to get into (18% acceptance rate/1440 average SAT).

1 Like

Just noticed that Johns Hopkins is listed as being in The Big 10.

They are a member for lacrosse

1 Like

“Did some Google research. Georgia Tech has a 3B endowment, is an AAU member, did 1.3B in research last year despite not having a medical school and they’re one of the hardest public universities to get into (18% acceptance rate/1440 average SAT).”

Exactly. And that’s the school on the list closest to Miami. Miami is closer to Georgia Tech than we are to Vandy, Northwestern, Duke, and Rice. To think that we are comparable to them is delusional. We are an undergraduate teaching institution and a good one. But there is little doubt that our prestige and reputation are far from what they were when I was an undergraduate 40+ years ago. President them. That would be lovely, but I think it is entirely unrealistic.

One final note that is neither good nor bad, but I was at an event with President Crawford, who said that our most competitive academic program is now nursing.

We’re much closer to Vandy, only a little over 300 miles.

1 Like

https://x.com/Braden_Keith/status/1839677108877918363

Horizon League might not be an option to park sports.

Although hardly confirmed yet: x.com

25 to 15 years ago or so, Miami was consistently in the 60s/70s in the annual US News rankings, and we had a much lower acceptance rate. The Farmer SoB was consitently ranked much higher as well. In the last 10 years we’ve seen a dramatic fall in our academic prestige, at least when it comes to these rankings.

Beyond our acceptance rate hitting the 90% mark at one point, I’m not sure what other factors have played a role in that slide, but I know the metrics of the rankings change, so perhaps the things we’ve historically excelled in are no longer as relevant to them. It is encouraging, however, to see that our acceptance rate has started to get more selective, the most recent data I saw stated 80.7%.

1 Like

This would only be an option to the MWC if the Montanas and Dakotas turned them down. Do NIU and UT really want to be a fallback to 4 FCS programs?

They might.

And if football only…boot them entirely. Sorry for your luck. Travel to Laramie and Colorado Springs - to lose.

It’s a bit fitting. The two worst college campuses in the winter (when the wind is howling) are Laramie, WY and Dekalb, IL.

1 Like

Agreed that DeKalb in the winter(and summer) is God awful but I can’t help but feel that Bowling Green is missing from your list

4 Likes

Playing tennis at Bowling Green in a sideways snow falling in March is like being in a snow globe without the charm. A treeless wasteland that place was.

1 Like

Bowling Green does have one tree.

2 Likes