MAC Cross Country Championship

The Miami men’s team has been running well all season and today won the MAC championship in Athens, OH with Miami’s Obsaa Feda winning the individual title. Feda ran 23:39.7 (8K) out kicking Toby Gualter (EMU) and defending MAC champion Baldvin Magnusson (EMU) over the last 800 m. Scoring for Miami; Feda (1st), Mhalicki Bronson (8th), Jake Bertelsen (10th), Max Polak (11th), and Patrick Wills (16th). Dan Conway and Charlie Harders, who usually run in the top 5 finished 23rd and 27th, respectively. As previously noted, this team has been running well all season against some top ranked teams. The Great Lakes Regional is Nov. 11th in Terre Haute, IN and with a little luck I think the team can qualify for the NCAA Championship meet in Stillwater, OK on Nov. 19th.

The Miami women’s team finished 4th behind Toledo, Ohio, and EMU. Miami’s Carmen Riano won the individual title running 19:30.3 (6K). Miami’s Ava Nutall finished 4th (20:13.3).

At the very least I think we’ll see Feda and Riano qualify for the NCAA Championship as individuals.

On a personal note my two nieces finished 74th (23:02) and 91st (23:49) for Akron and my cousin finished 80th (23:15) for Bowling Green.

8 Likes

Bash, with all these runners in the family, I wonder if you did some running at one point.
Edit: Bash come clean!

1 Like

I have another cousin who currently runs for Wright State. His mother, my first cousin, was a state champion 800 m runner in the early 80s. A distant cousin (probably 3rd cousin) and former Miami teammate had, until Spring 2022, one of the top ten 10,000 m times in Miami history. He was knocked out of the top 10 by Obsaa Feda and Max Polak.

1 Like

Are the Riprocks all wanted felons? What are they all running from! Guessing the gene didn’t hit you?

1 Like

Most of us are on the run from various initialized government agencies (e.g., FBI, IRS, FDA, USGS, etc).

4 Likes

I can see how that would improve the overall speed.

Surprisingly the course was relatively flat with just one modest hill and some small rollers. The meet was carried by ESPN+ and they did a decent job covering pretty much the entire course.

Note of interest, Toledo hasn’t had much of a men’s XC program for years, but finished 2nd today. They went out and signed 4 Kenyans from the junior college ranks who helped elevate their finish.