Lost a Hawktalker

I’ve just been informed that long-time Miami Super fan and hawktalker Paul Nolan lost his battle with Cancer recently. Thoughts to his family.

Love and Honor!!!

7 Likes

Heard the news this morning from his brother, Pete. Paul especially loved Miami Basketball and traveled the country and beyond to cheer them on. I last saw him last Saturday at the football Spring Showcase and he was optimistic as always. He will be missed.

4 Likes

Tragic news.

1 Like

RIP.

Sad news! What was his Hawktalker handle?

Paul was a regular on the Field of 68 calls and always shared stories of his travels. IIRC his wife won one of the basketball experience packages they do during the fundraising auctions as a gift for him and you could hear the passion and excitement he had for the program while he was talking about it. A true Miami Man and ambassador for the athletics department.

Love and Honor!

7 Likes

Oh man what a shame! I didn’t know Grumpy personally but really enjoyed his posts and thoughts here.

1 Like

I’m confused. Is Grumpy posting from beyond the grave? And in the third person?

2 Likes

Like Paul McCartney, Grumpy is not dead.

1 Like

There’s a part of me that wants to delete the last couple posts to keep it focused on Paul and everything he brought to Miami athletics. There’s also a part of me that wants to leave it because there’s nothing more MHT than a true threadjacking.

7 Likes

I asked earlier what Paul’s handle was. No one answered.

1 Like

To my knowledge, Paul never posted on Hawktalk, but often read it and often commented to me about things that were said. He was a close friend and we shared a passion for Miami sports. Miami men’s basketball was his passion, a few times he attended every basketball game home and away in a season. A few years ago he had a 99 game streak. It ended when Miami added a couple of D3 games in late December long after the rest of the schedule and he and his wife Julie had already booked a vacation to Florida.

Paul ran track in college and taught and coached track at Harrison HS. He eventually married Julie, one of his former track runners. He has been battling cancer for a long time, maybe a dozen years or more, and has several times gotten very sick and then treatments brought him back into remission and he was feeling pretty good. Grumpy mentioned just how positive and optimistic he always was, no matter how bad he felt. I greatly admired how he was always determined to live his life despite all the health issues. Julie did a wonderful job of nursing him and always being there for him. They shared a strong Christian faith and when Miami played at places like NIU or Buffalo on a Saturday, Paul always made it back in time to attend Sunday morning services with Julie.

This is the second time that one of my best friends died while I am in Nevada for a month. Some of you knew Bob Borchers who was also a Miami graduate and fan. I am not going to make it home for this funeral either. My sympathies to Julie, to my close friends Pete and Kathy Nolan, and to Paul’s close friend Jim who did a lot of the driving on basketball trips the last couple of years, and to his brother James. This has been a rough year for the Nolan family as Pete and Paul and James also lost their father recently. I will miss you Paul.

19 Likes

Fantastic post about a great person. Lovely insight into who he was.

5 Likes

Appreciate the details about a life well lived. RIP, and peace to his family

1 Like

FYI

A celebration of life will be held on Thursday, May 2nd 2024 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Bright Christian Church (24457 State Line Rd, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025). A graveside service will be held on Friday, May 3rd 2024 at 10:00 AM at the Glen Haven Cemetery (10300 New Biddinger Rd, Harrison, OH 45030).

In honor of Paul’s memory, memorials may be made to the Tim Tebow Foundation (2220 County Rd 210 W Ste 109 PMB 317, Jacksonville, FL 32259) to fight human trafficking or Compassion International (12290 Voyager Pkwy, Colorado Springs, CO 80921) to help rescue children from poverty.

Paul will be remembered for his faith in God, unwavering determination, love for his family, Miami Basketball, squirrels, trees, 5 gallon buckets, and also for his humble generosity to others.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Paul was a great man and a wonderful Miami sports fan, especially basketball. I have been blessed to have known him and his brother Pete. May he rest in peace.

7 Likes

FYI

Tonight’s Celebration service was very large; it was a fair size church and there were 300 to 400 people in attendance. Nieces, nephews & other relatives came in from all over the country. There was a high school track coach who came from Brown County, several counties away to attend.

Hawktalk was well represented by me & Mrs D-Day, Grumpy, Chris W & Jay who reads Hawktalk but does not post.

Also, Damon Frierson came down from Columbus to pay his respects.

12 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this the last couple of days… Would folks want to do something as a fan base to help out?

1 Like

It was great to have our group representing MHT at the service! In the eulogy, the pastor spent a good deal of time talking about Paul’s love for Miami basketball. The service ended with a playing of the Miami fight song, which was an outstanding touch that Paul would have loved!

8 Likes