Long term Miami/MAC prospects

Don’t care about Stats, just win.

2 Likes

Wins and losses is a stat, lol

We could crack the top 100 in the coming weeks!!! The days of consistently residing in the bottom 10 and playing in games dubbed “pillow fights” by ESPN are long gone!

Next stop??? Top 75 and then the sky’s the limit!

1 Like

Heck, and out defense is rated better! To whoever replied they don’t care about stats… you should care when Miami is top 50 nationally in a category- I know the BIG TIME FANS care!

The only way up the ladder is to win consistently…beating anyone we have left on our schedule won’t move the needle up much, but losing to any of them sends us back below the “Mendoza Line.” A nice win in a bowl would help our case.

1 Like

We will be win every remaining game.

Hope at worst 4-2 the rest of the way.

7-5 overall and 5-3 in the MAC East is not a successful season anymore.

1 Like

5-3 in MAC . 7-5 overall with back-up QB is not a failure. But agree not a “success”.

1 Like

9-3 overall and if we get Gabbert back at some point…a MAC Championship. We are better in all phases each week.

Interested to see how Brett looks at the next two games- still had a sling on Saturday, so I think he still has a ways to go.

I think absolute best case is he could return for OU game Nov 8th, but he will need a full week of practice at least.

1 Like

Love to see a 8-4 or 9-3 year, but unless Brett returns healthy soon, based on recent year’s results I expect 7-5 but will hold out hope for better!

Listening to Chuck last night from LaRosas I would be surprised if we see Brett again this season even though he never mentioned Brett’s health progress at all. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an increasing QB controversy when Brett does get healthy. Chuck seems to be extremely high on Aveon as the man for the future. I don’t remember the last time Miami had a true QB controversy - certainly not in the portal era.

That’s doubtful, unless Brett does not return.

It’s Brett role, whenever he wants it…that said I hope Aveon keeps progressing, he has been generally well poised, just not that accurate at first in part due to reading defenses for the first time live and all that…but I like his presence.

At same time Miami’s offense has looked a bit like the Bears…you can see some glimpse of success and then things backfire. Will be really interesting to see what they can put together against BG tomorrow. Hoping for improved passing game that only makes the run game that much more effective.

3 Likes

Gabbert can still play in three more games this season without burning his redshirt. I’d be shocked to see him before the week 12 game against NIU. Depending on how things play out with Buffalo for a potential division title, maybe not even until week 13 against Ball St.

They may go with Aveon in the short term based on Gabbert’s health and redshirt status, but long term there is no QB controversy. Gabbert is the guy if he’s healthy and available.

3 Likes

I see Coach Martin as a guy that loves work ethic. When he talks about Aveon is always his effort and leadership he speaks of. Not his arm talent or QB skills. I see no QB controversy here. Gabbert is QB when healthy. Aveon is probably portal bound if Gabbert comes back next season. I also do not see Coach Martin giving any pertinent info on the timeline of Gabberts return.

3 Likes

Ballcoach - By QB controversy, I meant the balancing of the present vs the future - short-term vs long- term. If Brett returns next season it would probably be for one season. As you mentioned, that could trigger an immediate portal transfer for Aveon, leaving Miami with a single experienced and injury-prone QB with possibility a single year of commitment to Miami left. A conundrum is def possible, if not probable.

1 Like

If Gabbert takes a redshirt this year he’ll still have two years of eligibility left.

I don’t know if Aveon would have eyes on the portal, but even if he did, you’re not going to bench arguably the best QB in recent program history in order to keep a backup that’s averaging 126 passing yards per start from going into the portal.

5 Likes

Brett Gabbert was the favorite for MAC player of the year. Aveon Smith is such a limited passer that we often call 3rd and 10 runs and draws.

There is no decision needed to be made and anybody can transfer at any time. If Aveon was really good we would be worried about him transferring too

4 Likes

The redshirt year is practically irrelevant since he has a free Covid year. Brett will not want to still be a Miami QB in 2024 IMO

3 Likes