Kent State on Saturday (1/7)

Baby steps.

3 Likes

Play of the game. If it’s a block (and it should’ve been) Tatum has a FT to put Miami up 7. Instead it’s a charge and Kent scores to make it a 2 point game.

4 Likes

That was pretty great. Not suggesting any kind of moral victory here. More the obvious improvement. We will be a very tough out in March. Ps. 4 dudes in double figures against a very great team. If we had a do-over on our first couple games, we would be winning them now. Team is better.

1 Like

Looked like a good atmosphere and we had several recruits there courtside. So that is good.

4 Likes

Welcome btw!

3 Likes

CoolPapa got his Mabrey pass. I chuckled as it went sailing far out of bounds.

1 Like

There’s little to fault with that effort. We made the better team have to step up and beat us and they did, so credit to Kent and Carry specifically. They got us with the high ball screen which is our kryptonite. The only other thing would be the 19 turnovers, 11 in the 2nd half. Otherwise, I would tell the team that’s the kind of effort, along with better decision making, that’s required to compete at the highest level in the MAC. Lairy had a good bounce back game and was in it all the way, physically and mentally. Safford was a warrior. He tried to do everything possible to win the game. The preparation was outstanding. Hopefully this is a step forward for the rest of the year. Still, patience is required. We need to see this effort consistently before getting too excited.

9 Likes

Would be really nice for Williams or Lewis (Sat today) to step up and become a real third scoring threat on the wing

3 Likes

Safford with a legit double-double, but Lairy is named radio player of the game.

1 Like

I threw my remote at the TV! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My vote for player of the game is Safford with Anderson a close second.

4 Likes

I agree. I also thought Lairy, Mabry and Morris had some good moments. But ultimately the best player was Sincere Carey and that proved too much

More winnable game on Tuesday

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the campus as quiet, nor seen it as deserted. Despite that, I thought the crowd was really good. Miami employees and townies showed up, lots of kids in tow. Hopefully they’ll be back, especially since we can assume students won’t be. This game should be a net positive in that regard.

3 Likes

I think employees got free admission courtesy of President Crawford.

4 Likes

I think that’s great business. Once the product improves consistently people will be back in force. You can sorta feel it turning even if just a little.

2 Likes

I said Safford was my player of the game today. If you recall, against CMU he went out in foul trouble, CMU went on a run. Yesterday against Kent, Safford picks up his 4th foul and Kent goes on a run. Travis commented about that post-game as well.

2 Likes

We would be remiss in not mentioning, Miami had almost 4100 fans at this game. A game played with virtually no students on campus. We need that type of fan support every game. And if that means the university giving out free tickets to staff, then so bit it. The team deserves support, and once the wins start coming, those fans getting in for free now, might pay later. And bring fans with them. It also wouldn’t hurt to have the funds for more halftime entertainment like yesterday.

9 Likes

Are you suggesting the administration take the LONG VIEW?? That offering incentives to attend games NOW may pay dividends LATER in the form of paying customers? Why, that would be money above and beyond the student fees. Just crazy!!

1 Like

The tickets given to faculty and staff were paid for by President Crawford.

Unless someone buys them, the tickets aren’t worth anything. But, like the bakery who donates day old bread to the food kitchen, it’s smart business to continue this practice. Creating atmosphere is a form of investment in the program (also creates experiences for the students and community) and, I’m willing to bet there’s a way to write off free tickets from an accounting standpoint. (Will let financial folks smarter than me answer that.)

2 Likes