Job description?

I’m not being critical, I would really like to know what this job entails.

1 Like

From the job posting online:

Responsible for providing the football coaching staff with research and analysis to assist the Football Program with innovative strategies through analytical tools and methods.

• Assist with the analysis of opposing team strategy, chart tendencies and provide summary reports and analysis to the coaching staff.
• Assist self-scouting offensive, defensive and special team’s schemes to identify strengths and weaknesses in the Football Program.
• Produce compelling, illustrative and user-friendly reports from existing databases of future, current and former players.

At least it doesn’t say “digital ninja needed” in the description. That always makes me so confused. And sadly, it’s all over LinkedIn. Like, if you were a real ninja, why on Earth would you do anything having to do with tech? It would be a huge insult to the ninja credo.

3 Likes

Did the job posting list the qualifications/experience they were looking for?

Sounds kind of like what GAs used to do.

1 Like

Sounds like what Saban has six of. Billy Ball style analysis is now firmly rooted in college football.

3 Likes

I assume you mean Moneyball or Billy bean. I dont want any more Billy Bahl analysis

6 Likes

For one quarter against Iowa, I thought we’d found the second coming of Ben R.

2 Likes

Yep. I meant Money Ball for sure - Billy Ball was in Oakland, too, but Money Ball and analytics changed everything there for a while.

Immediately made me think of this classic from SEC Shorts:

2 Likes

I just realized I only posted like half the description. Here is the whole list of duties.

Assist with the analysis of opposing team strategy, chart tendencies and provide summary reports and analysis to the coaching staff.
• Assist self-scouting offensive, defensive and special team’s schemes to identify strengths and weaknesses in the Football Program.
• Produce compelling, illustrative and user-friendly reports from existing databases of future, current and former players.
• Track and report key football data, demographics and trends across all levels of football and provide annual statistical reports, and analysis of playing rules proposals, etc.
• Supervise a small team of student analyst.
• Travel with coaching staff and team to provide statistical and operational support.
• Assist with special projects as assigned by coaching staff.
• Provide support across the department and perform other duties as assigned

The position requires a bachelor’s upon hire. It appears our new guy just graduated from IU, but he spent two years interning on the football team in recruiting and operations.

I use this in my classes as what RFID can do for football. Not sure if Miami has tagged their players, but the amount of data is insane. May be what this new position is doing

2 Likes