Interesting portal comments

I listened to most of yesterdays show on the commitments. Interesting to me that Coach Martin said he really didnt want to lose one guy but most guys transferred with his blessing. He seemed to be saying the one guy was Saunders. I was surprised he was ok losing Schaffer and Shelton

4 Likes

That’s what it sounded like to me, too.

1 Like

I suspect Chuck is simply taking a pragmatic view of the situation, particularly in regards to Schaffer. Schaffer has graduated. He’s a smart guy (Academic All-MAC in 2021) and is looking for a graduate program at a different school. I can’t fault Schaffer for wanting to be exposed to a different academic program. Plus, there were 3 freshmen OL on the 2022 roster who were highly ranked coming out of high school - Eric Smith, Brandon Lawhorn-Moore, and Gavin Rohers - and are now probably ready to compete for Schaffer’s spot in 2023. As for Shelton, he’s been with the program since 2018. Don’t know if he has his degree yet, but it seems to me that maybe Shelton was tired of sharing time with others in a crowded backfield. By the way, Shelton averaged 4.7 yards per carry for his career. One would think such a number would have warranted more playing time and more carries for him.

3 Likes

Shelton showed some flashes of his former self this year, but as you stated, he got relatively few carries when healthy…I was surprised he didn’t get more.

1 Like

I think this is entirely based on time remaining in the program and potential further upside.

Caleb and Tyre only had one year left and there was not much additional upside.

The same is not true with Saunders.

2 Likes

I thought it was interesting as well how when talking about Saunders, Pace near the end of the broadcast he seemed to be conceding to a degree that Miami is developing players to move up to conferences like the SEC. Listen carefully to his comments. That we took a player like Saunders who was getting virtually no looks, that didn’t have great speed and Miami coached him up and now he is getting SEC looks.

New normal for college football. We didn’t get hit as hard as other MAC programs though

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I just don’t see Miami ever (or rarely) getting devastated by the transfer portal. For all his faults, Chuck Martin does a good job selling recruits AND their parents on the long term benefit of a Miami education. In my opinion, the kind of recruit who buys into that is one who is not going to try to chase NIL money or a bigger stage. If they do leave it is more likely over playing time, and thus many will transfer down. Obviously, there are/will be exceptions (e.g., Phelps, Saunders, etc.), but by and large I just don’t think the transfer rules and portal are going to have a net negative impact on Miami.

7 Likes

No kidding. Exhibit A: Kent State

2 Likes

In comparing this year’s class to those of the past, I found it interesting and shocking the number of kids from those highly ranked classes that have left. Here is what has left:
2019 - Class of 30 - Gone by Ranking: 1,4,5,6,7,8,9,12,13,16,17,18,20,22,23,24,25,28
2020 - Class of 25 - Gone by Ranking: 1,3,4,6,7,8,9,12,13,15,16,21
2021 - Class of 22 - Gone by Ranking: 1,3,4,7,10,14,15,16,17,18,20,21

1 Like

That is correct. We actually have a fairly high number that leave, contrary to what some may think. If I counted correctly 42/77 in those three classes left the program. So over 50%. How that compares to other programs I have no idea.

1 Like

Also interesting that most of our impact players come from the bottom half of the class. This further proves my point that journalist rarely identify the best players.

2 Likes

So you’re saying we have lost the number 1 recruit in each of the last 3 classes?

I did not include the current freshman class as it appears that attrition hasn’t hit yet. The loss of #1 ranked kids goes back several years

1 Like

Fairly high, maybe. Relatively high, no. We get hit a lot less than most G5 programs.

1 Like

I have no idea how this compares either. Might check that out if I can find time.

1 Like

Yes, a lot of kids have left, but my point was largely addressing kids leaving for a bigger stage via the relatively new transfer rules. How many of those who left from the Classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021 left for bigger programs… very few. It would appear to me that the majority left football for good, which has nothing to do with the new transfer rules.

4 Likes

Wow that is way more than I expected. Thanks

2 Likes

Gotcha, I was just curious. Thanks

No need to take it so harshly. I simply commented on the numbers posted. Might be time to leave this board like Shooter.

1 Like