Humanities On The Block At Miami

Miami University has about 19,000 students on 2,138 acres in Oxford. The University of Miami has 12,500 students on 238 acres in Coral Gables. UC has 30,000 students on 254 acres.

We don’t have a green space problem.

3 Likes

Yep parking garage next to Rec center and new nursing building. Red brick like everything else. New nursing building was nice. When we were at Miami (1983-1987) enrollment capped at 15K. Limits on cars on campus, more trees, Shriver still had a bowling alley, played intramurals in Withrow. Sigh……

1 Like

One major implication of the lack of state funding is tuition raises. That, in turn, causes parents and students to pay more for the university. Hence, the push for immediate economic returns.

The most popular questions I get from parents during open house events are, “What are the job prospects?” or “What is the average salary after graduation?”

As a faculty member outside administrative roles, I still tend to believe Miami is simply reacting to market trends in order to survive and thrive.

3 Likes

I for one am quite happy Miami locked in tuition for all 4 years Celia will be there. Especially since we pay out of state tuition. Thankfully she has multiple academic scholarships to lessen the cost.

3 Likes

Maybe Alabama is becoming the Ohio of the South.

1 Like

So now the class is colloquially known as Tree and Shrub? :slight_smile:

Not sure if the demographics leaving the Midwest for the South and West is going to be a continual thing. Looking to get out of San Diego, and am looking at Chicago. Southern California is just not the place it used to be (crime, taxes, climate, etc.) but I still want a big city environment with an international airport, good healthcare services and a reasonable cost of living for what you get.

Also, too many nuts on each side of the political spectrum (CA, TX, FL, MS) and Illinois seems to be somewhat normal. Ohio’s government went from okay to cray-cray since DeSwine was elected (I was in Ohio when Celeste was governor and it seemed to be functional), and too much cultural craziness for my tastes.

Go Miami!

I don’t know what the timeframe will be or how extreme it will be, but I assume there’ll be a northwards migration from the south and southwest at some point as the weather becomes unbearable, the homes become uninsurable, and they run out of water.

1 Like

Another fading tradition…we see this everywhere as “city planners” squeeze more people into ever-diminishing spaces.

Dallas, Denver or Charlotte come to mind though my wife and I abhor big cities.

Think Bozeman or Missoula, MT, Boise, ID, Fort Collins, CO.,San Antonio, TX, Albuquerque or Sante Fe, NM, Flagstaff, Prescott AZ…all including or within an easy drive of an airport with decent connections.

North Carolina has numerous cities of decent size with great amenities…

1 Like

Santa Fe at about 87,000 is a perfect size with 300+ days of sunshine, great cultural & outdoor activities, no traffic & almost all the amenities you need . The SF airport is expanding & ABQ airport is only 55 miles away.

1 Like

Hey, we are getting to the point where we have to include decent medical/healthcare professional bases, so a bigger city is what we have to consider. We originally considered moving to HI but it’s extremely limited with those options. Ahhh, the joys of getting towards retirement age!

1 Like

I moved from San Diego area (Carlsbad) almost 10 years ago. Took a pit stop in Madison, WI, before landing in Raleigh. I love it, can’t really explain why though! Definitely would meet your criteria for medical needs with Duke and UNC med nearby.

This thread has gone from Miami Humanities to AARP!!

2 Likes

Speaking of Southern California, AARP was founded in Ojai!

I can think of a lot of backwards left wingers that have led (and are leading) this country down the wrong path.

Respectfully Dick, if you don’t like it here…Move! (Although I hope you don’t)

1 Like

We have a construction boom debt cost problem.

I spent a few weeks in ABQ at Kirtland AFB…no thanks on the South West. I drove from El Paso to ABQ, and wondered why people move to the South West, then b*tch about climate change and how that causes a lack of water in their new homes…

Las Cruces and Santa Fe are exceptions due to elevation and deep artesian wells. Flagstaff has a Rocky Mountain climate.

Interesting how some Miami alums wish Miami could be more like Hillsdale, others want us to model ourselves after Williams or Wesleyan, and some like a more occupational model like Purdue. There is no pleasing everyone in this sociopolitical polarized environment.

I think Virginia does a considerably better job of financially supporting their state universities. I see Miami as the aspiring William and Mary in Ohio.

4 Likes