How our former mens players fared this year

Dick’s post got me thinking, and since I’m not above a little plagiarism…,

NOTE: not sure if any of these players are done for the season.

JAVON ETZLER Ashland University
Games played 26, started 0
3 ppg, high of 13 vs. Walsh

MITCHELL RYLEE Thomas More University
GP 19, start 7
5 ppg, high of 17 vs. Ohio Dominican

BILLY SMITH Bellarmine University
GP 31, start 7
5.8 ppg, high of 16 vs. BG

WIL STEVENS Lourdes University
GP 17
2.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg

BRYSON TATUM Pittsburg State
GP 5 (last game1/27) 0 starts

I thought Kamari Williams still had eligibility but I didn’t find anything about him after Miami.

Jackson Kenyon showed up as video coordinator for Winthrop women. Seems right.

1 Like

The first year the new coaching staff came in was rough because our roster was very limited, but I’ll never forget that sequence where Jackson scored like 6 points in the final couple minutes to win us the game at Western Michigan. That was awesome and totally unexpected!

3 Likes

Every one of these guys moved down in level of competition, but only Billy Smith looks like he has value to his new team. His numbers there do not indicate that he would be an upgrade to anyone in this year’s rotation. I think he is where he belongs and he is a part of their rotation this year and going forward.

Mitchell Riley who transferred to DIII probably is right where he belongs.

Yeesh. Jack Owens really had no idea what he was doing on the recruiting trail once his preexisting Purdue connections ran out after year 2.

7 Likes

The one guy that we really missed the last two seasons is Dae Dae Grant, who got his 2,000th point earlier this season. He is currently at 2150. He averaged 15.5 and 16.7 the last two seasons at Duquesne. He was a second team all A-10 player last year, those have not been picked yet this year. His team is 20-11 heading into the conference tourney. He is at 2,150 career points, which is not too far from Ron Harper’s Miami record of 2377. He would have finished #2 in Miami history.

Duquesne was the first non major program to hire a guy to run their NIL department, so pretty sure he made some good money these last two seasons. I asked Precious last year if he knew what Dae Dae got to transfer to Duquesne but he said he did not know.

3 Likes

Luka Eller just finished up at John Carroll. They were really good as they had Luka’s high school teammate Luke Frazier transfer in from Dayton and another transfer from Youngstown State. Luka was their 6th leading scorer. They were a top 3 ranked team in D3, but got bounced in the second round.

2 Likes

Bryson Tatum transferred? Why?