Hendrix must go

Do you have support for your statement that an anonymous benefactor paid for the Owens buyout?

If not, you should not be reporting based on hearsay or rumors.

Based on the contract Steele signed, the buyout was largely paid by the new coach accepting a lower salary. Owens was making a base salary of $368,924. Steele agreed to a base pay of $300,000 for his first four years.

Owens is making $375,000 as an assistant at OSU meaning the buyout did not cost us anything in the end.

However, the Steele contract saves us almost $300,000 over four years for the head coach salary. I think it is possible this was reallocated to assistant salaries.

If I was the anonymous benefactor for this buyout I would want my money back.

3 Likes

Regarding equity for women’s athletics, there is 1 more year to go. Owens was at Miami for 5 seasons; Hendrix just finished her 4th season.

Owens actually got an extension after his 4th season.
Owens got one because his teams had performed much better than Hendrix. He was 56-66 his first four years and had a winning season in the 4th year (Covid shortened)
Someone above said Hendrix is 37-80.
Do you think Hendrix deserves an extension?
The point is that the buyout is one year in either case.
And we hear all the time that a coach can’t recruit unless they have more than one year to go on their contract.

2 Likes

Colleen Day was retained when Fantanarosa got fired. She got fired when Cleve Wright was fired. A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t hire a head coach who was an assistant for a coach you fired. In this case it would be hiring someone who was an assistant for two different coaches that you fired (and was part of another staff in the same conference that just got fired as well). Unlikely she would get anything more than a courtesy look.

Sometimes an AD has to swallow hard and make the right decision…after fumbling in the past. If Colleen Day is overlooked, it will be another fumble…same for Jermaine

Memo to AD: Hire them both and you’ll see the women’s program flourish… in 2 years at most…and you can take credit for it.

2 Likes

While I don’t agree with the move, her logic of taking the best player off the floor when she took Peyton out was because of media timeout. She took Peyton out at 5:14 left in the fourth quarter. The next media timeout was going to happen after the next timeout or dead ball under 5:00. Her logic, I assume was she could get Peyton a few extra seconds of rest and then put her right back in after the media timeout. At that critical of a point in the game was it a smart move, turns out nope.

1 Like

Frankly, she should never come out when the game is on the line, plus her replacement is a very poor player. Charlie Coles would never, ever take one of his stars out with the game on the line, even would they signal him they needed out. So many times Tim Pollitz ( bad knees and could not practice) would look over at Charlie and he would turn his back on him, and then Tim would do something to win the game.

You know Buffalo, who snatched the 8 seed from us, lost all but one player off their roster to transfer ( 4 starters) or graduation and had a bench worse than ours, Their 3 best players were all in the top 10 in the nation in minutes played. Unless the game was decided, they normally played only 6 or sometimes 7, and those girls often only got in because of foul trouble.

3 Likes

Xavier “mutually agrees to part ways” with their Women’s Basketball Coach, Melanie Moore

Her resume is similar to Coach Hendrix, an even worse winning percentage. I thought we would hear an announcement today, I keep checking.

David sayler have him a contract extension the off season before he was fired the fired him at the end of season last year that why he needs to be fired

decoding…

…everyone MUST go!

Athletic director needs to go womens head coach needs to going and still think steele needs to go and baseball coach needs to go

TheMan, I think what you’re really implying is maybe it needs to be more of a fire sale type promo: “Everything must go!!!”

Everything but field hockey softball and football coach volleyball coach needs to go including David sayler he is not smartest cuokie

Maybe like those continual Persian rug “Going out of Business” sales.

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

…where are you finding the money to buy out all these people (including a men’s basketball coach who hasn’t even been here a full season yet)?

2 Likes

Same place that Thornton Mellon suggests they build the factory for his economics class

1 Like

Owens would have been gone after four years if most on this board had their way. The idea that his and Hendix’s situations are identical is mistaken.

The Triple Lindy!

3 Likes