Go Warriors!

I don’t know that I’ll be going to the parade since I don’t like crowds, but how ‘bout the Warriors! If I could just get my football teams to play along, I will soon have seen every team I support win a title. I’d be shocked to see The Warriors repeat (NBA too deep) but what a ride. Ps. Wiggins was huge. Proof positive sometimes a player just needs a chance in a new system. Boston looks to be close with Tatum and Brown. Maybe Memphis?

1 Like

My SF kid’s probably going to Snapchat me a couple of picks of the parade. He was working in Chicago a few years ago and had a window overlooking the Blackhawks Stanley Cup parade.

2 Likes

Shoot, I had totally forgot about hockey. Question to all who read this: has anyone on this forum lived in a city that won all big 4 championships while you lived there? (Football, basketball, baseball, hockey). Obviously, not in the same year, but over many years?

1 Like

I’ve only lived in three big league markets in my life: Cincinnati (10 years); Seattle (31 years); and Boston (2 years). I was in Cincy for some of the Big Red Machine’s World Series championships. Cincy has never had NHL Hockey and the Royals vanished in 1974. I was in Seattle for the Sonics NBA Championship and attended the parade but had moved to Southern New Hampshire before the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. The Sonics are long gone and the Kraken just appeared this season. I suppose Boston is the only four sport championship market I’ve ever lived in and I was there when the Red Sox and Pats won.

2 Likes

That’s a viable way to do it as well. As long as you lived in a city when they won it counts. You can complete the grand slam by moving as well as long as the team wins where you are. I saw baseball win in Cincy and SF, basketball in SF. San Jose doesn’t count for me as it’s not SF and I’ve seen every team I’ve ever supported lose in the Super Bowl while I lived there: Cincy, Atlanta, San Francisco.

2 Likes

If we’re counting Orange County as “basically LA,” then yes

1 Like

That’s tremendous. And you probably go watch the ponies in Del Mar from time to time. Totally not jealous.

I used to live near Santa Anita, where enough horses have died in the past few years to put me off the ponies altogether.

1 Like

that is a great track / experience…i took the family there during a trip to solana beach…highlight of the event was a horse, throwing its rider, then proceeding to actual escape the track out onto the street that borders the stables…it was insance

1 Like

A horse escaped into the street? That sounds like hot pony action to me.

Ps, Chuck, the only time the horses are in danger of dying when I go is when they don’t finish in the order I need them to and I’m parked too close to the service gate. I don’t think hitting them with my car is nearly as wrong as them dying from mistreatment because in my case, they had one job to do for me and that was to run. One could argue my issue is with the jockey, but the truth is, he’s just there for the ride. The horse knows what’s up.

Lock this thread. The Warriors are dried-up stinky dick-lickers. They should not be celebrated. They should be catapulted into the sun.

Ew. You nasty.

2 Likes

Wait, do they stink, or is what they lick stinky?

In one fell swoop, the sack man, turned my heartfelt tribute to a team I have no real alliance with into an episode of “To Catch A Predator.” I need a beer. Oh wait…

There’s only 13 US markets with teams in all four major US sports leagues (were another 4 before relocations happened to St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Atlanta). Of those only 2 have won championships in all four leagues since 2000 (Boston, LA). Back it up to 1980 and there’s another (Chicago, and Dallas was one Rangers strike away as well). 1970 and you add three more (NY, DC, Philly). Plenty of metro areas with multiple teams haven’t seen a championship in any sport for a generation, if ever (Minneapolis, San Diego, Buffalo).

1 Like

My friend is from Philly and has seen all of them win in his lifetime. He was pretty little when the Flyers/Sixers won their titles. I am suprised it hasn’t happen in New York more often.

I grew up in Harrisburg and was (and still am) a big Phillies, Flyers, and Sixers fan. Flyers tickets were tough to get, but they were great to watch.

The Sixers played four games in Hershey so we always went to one of those games and a few in Philly.

Watching games at Connie Mack Stadium and the Vet were fun although you always had to pay a local kid to “watch” your car.

1 Like

You can thank the Knicks for that, much to the dismay of @yanksalex.

NY and LA also depend on who you root for. Someone who supports the Mets/Jets/Nets/Islanders (why do they rhyme so much?) hasn’t seen any championships since the eighties. I’m sure some poor souls who like the Angels/Clippers/Chargers haven’t had a fun past few years.

1 Like

If you wanted to build a list of the teams with the fans who suffer the most misery, the Seattle Mariners should be near the top. The franchise started in 1977 and - although the Mariners had a hallmark regular season in 2001 - they remain the only current team in MLB to have never played in a World Series. To add insult to injury to Emerald City fans, the earlier MLB franchise in Seattle - the 1969 Pilots -lasted all of one season.

1 Like

Living in the Detroit area since '74, have had the pleasure of watching, and attending championship games and parades multiple times for Pistons, multiple Red Wings and Tigers (attended final game 5 of '84 Series).
The Lions? The worst organization in professional sports since the 1950’s championship years. I have boycotted attending their games for as long as I can remember!

1 Like