Give Em Back ESPU!

ESPN is not the only media entity with issues.

Sports Illustrated has issuesā€¦No wait! Maybe they will no longer have issues.

ā€œThe owner of Sports Illustrated has ended the employment of the publicationā€™s entire staff, leaving the very existence of the nearly 70-year-old magazine in doubtā€

1 Like

I see what you did there. Well done. Also a bummer. Was a great pub.

1 Like

It was. Seemingly in every office and so many homes.

1 Like

I had a few friends who ended up in faces in the crowd. I was so jealous! That was big time before everyone became famous thanks to the internet.

I had a letter published in The 19th Hole in the issue of 6/17/1968: Hard to believe this can be found with a simple internet search.

Sirs:
I very much enjoyed your article on Red Rightfielder Pete Rose. You did a magnificent job of summing up the parts that go together to make up one of the most colorful ballplayers of this or any other day. But you neglected to give credit to one of the great contributing forces in Peteā€™s development, his high school baseball coach. Mr. Paul Nohr, in his 34 years as baseball coach at Western Hills High School, turned out as many major league ballplayers as have been produced at any high school in the country. He has sent eight players to the majors and there are several more now playing on minor league clubs.
STU GRAFF
Cincinnati

6 Likes

A couple things:

1. This is awesome.

2. I share a less flattering view of Pete on account of him cursing my brother and I out when we asked for an autograph. We were 8 years old and it was kind of a drag as he was a star. At least in our eyes.

3. I hope MU baseball kicks butt this year. I havenā€™t been this excited for spring in a long time. Were I in the 513, Iā€™d be sitting in the stands watching. Hands down the easiest venue for students to enjoy. Itā€™s free and right in the heart of campus.

3 Likes

That was written in 1968. Pete and I went to the same high school and I was 21 years old. There is no question Pete is now and always has been an asshole.

5 Likes

He certainly never lacked for confidence. Ps. Western has a pretty great overall sports history.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the SI article on Charlie Colesā€™ basketball class.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2002/11/25/professor-hoops-when-coach-charlie-coles-teaches-his-basketball-course-at-miami-ohio-its-a-full-court-test

5 Likes

I got all 20 right. I basically took the same course from Darryl Hedrick, I still have my notebook, I coached for 20 years and I taught those principles. Really good stuff.

1 Like

II was 20/20 also. Took the course from coach Shrider , that course and watching and sometimes participating in every practice for a year got me started successfully in coaching.

Ok, admittedly this is likely gonna cause a tangent but itā€™s related to several things weā€™ve all discussed so I wouldnā€™t even know where to place it. Iā€™m a party of one, but I think you can learn way more about running a business/teaching/leadership/being an entrepreneur doing a class like this than if you studied these as a discipline direct course. Thatā€™s a long winded way of saying itā€™s classes like this that make a broad based liberal arts education shine. When I hear of us dropping programs to become more streamlined in our offerings, I worry. The narrow minded person says ā€œstudying basketball is a distraction from whatever your major is.ā€ The broader minded sees the merit of learning a whole lot of valuable life skills without even realizing you are. Rant over, maybe we should all pool our funds to buy SIā€™s assets and rebuild it.

5 Likes

Well said.

4 Likes

YellowNumber5
Couldnā€™t have said it better myself.
Send your post to Crawford and the Chair of Miamiā€™s Board of Trusteesā€¦ā€¦they need to think more broad-minded than what they may be proposing.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve posted this before but itā€™s been some time. The BEST story from Coach Coles during my time in his classā€¦

Coles: ā€œWhatā€™s that site where the fans write about the games? ā€˜Hawk talkā€™ or something?ā€
A couple of the football players: ā€œMiamiHawkTalk.ā€
Coles: ā€œThatā€™s it. My son-in-law is on there all the time. He reports back to me, ā€˜They said this about you, they said that about youā€¦ā€™ I tell him, ā€˜Stop going on there. Take care of my daughter, for crying out loud.ā€™ā€

7 Likes