Getting To Know Travis Steele Better

It is too bad that Miami does have something similar to Xavier Nation that really provides in-depth coverage of their athletic program—particularly basketball.

Below is a link to the issue right after Travis Steele was hired. At number of in-depth articles in here that provide a better understanding of the man.

The article beginning on p.26 on everything that happened behind the scenes that culminated in hiring Steele for the Xavier HC job is particularly good.

Xavier Nation, Spring 2018

Is there an enterprising journalist in Oxford who might want to do a similar story on his MU hiring? I am sure it would be a great read.

2 Likes

I truly believe Miami should create a full journalism school like OU or Missouri or Syracuse has.

1 Like

With student debt climbing, why? It’s a field with high unemployment and low pay. Universities are already starting to reduce majors that don’t set students up for success.

On the other hand, why not pair up with the SLAM students and let them get a closer look at how programs are run. In exchange for the experience, they report on it. Then they can pair with the ETBD majors to put it into some form of broadcast media. I’m stealing that second part because the eSports team already does exactly that.

2 Likes

Got a nice reply to a note I wrote to Steele after his hiring. He actually read the note, says he will do everything in his power to connect the students to the program.

Said he will send Skins a copy of Mirambeaux’s menu plan.

3 Likes

Skins is the new Richard Simmons.

1 Like

Just please don’t make him wear the spandex :joy:

2 Likes

Mirambeux or Skins?..Skins looks good in spandex still.

Richard Simmons puhlease…Jack Lalanne all the way (thanks late Grandmom for that reference). :upside_down_face:

Nice head shot Herbie…I let you know the downlow on Anderson when I talk to Steele later in the week.

Sorry if this was noted before, just discovered it. Impressive lineup.

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you for posting this.

One of the things that is most impressive about Travis is the incredible experience he has had learning from so many great coaches. It is almost unprecedented for such a young head coach.

Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Kelvin Sampson, Chris Mack, Herb Sendek, Todd Lickliter, his brother John Groce.

2 Likes

Excellent resume!

The host thinks the MAC has the potential to be a 2-3 bid conference. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, I leaned back in my chair, threw my hands in the air, and rolled my eyes at that one.

The MAC has been right around the #10 conference by RPI (I believe similar for NET) for nearly the last decade. That’s right around the highest you can be to have multiple bids. Each year the MAC has had a bubble team, they’ve won the tourney or been listed as a snub (believe this happened to Toledo around 5 years ago). Not exactly a stretch for it to happen.

1 Like

I agree with JiveHawk that 2 is possible. Buffalo certainly would have gotten an at large a couple years ago when they had a six seed

3 Likes

Feels like a stretch to go from having possible at large bubble team every 4-5 years to an annual 2-3 bid conference. Especially when the MAC has been #18 in the conference RPI the past two years.

Billy Smith already rockin’ the nickname

1 Like

I love these and we have been doing a lot of them but do we only have 5 players on the team?

2 Likes

Apparently a number of players got lost trying to leave the sub court.