Football Community Event Saturday

I have been waiting all month to see something about a football preview day.

It normally has been held two weeks before the season opener.

There has been NOTHING on the RedHawks website.

I only found out that it is being held at 1030am tomorrow by watching the Martin interview with Terry Bridge.

Is it any wonder it is difficult to attract fans to games?

It is pretty hard to do so when there is absolutely no marketing.

Pitiful.

5 Likes

Fans are an annoyance…the less they know, the better. Bah !!! Humbug !!!

Pretty much the communicated attitude.

2 Likes

They marketed it to me; I got an email. Maybe I’m special?

3 Likes

It was mentioned in a “Miami Monday” email that I regularly get. Not sure if there was a separate communication as well. Regardless, it seems lazy to not have a banner or something on the athletics website to promote it.

Nothing on social media either.

Correct, it was in the Miami Monday email.

Most of the time(read almost always) I just simply glance at a few topic heads on the Miami Monday. Lately I am more apt to delete it without reading any of it. That being the case I can fault no one other than myself for missing some news.

2 Likes

In the not-too-distant future, you and everyone here will soon be able to blame me. Yep, I’m launching a new service whereby you pay me a small monthly fee, and then have a free pass to blame me for any issues in life. Don’t get an email from MU? Blame me. Forget your anniversary? Me again. Accidentally put a turpentine covered rag in with the new school clothes? I’m your man. Again, one low monthly fee. Just set it and forget it to your credit card.

Who’s in?

2 Likes

Went to the event this morning. Wasn’t able to stay too long due to the little ones and the heat. But the family still had a good time.

It looked to me like Jordan Brunson was taking first team reps at RB.

William Hardrick appears to be the leader for the other CB spot.

1 Like

CM recaps practice. Sounds like he didn’t have as much fun as the rest of us. Didn’t mention anyone specifically on the injury front, but says there have been a few things that “aren’t great”. Guess we’ll find out in a week.

2 Likes

My random observations on the scrimmage today. This is all from memory so take it for what it is. Others may have seen things differently.

1. The best player I saw on the field in warmups, game etc, was Alex Bevelhimer. He was booming his punts for good yardage and hang time. It was impressive. #2 punter appears to be freshman Carter Holden. I did not see Dziobian do any punting. He spent all his time on placekicking.

2. Dziobian appears to be #1 placeckicker. He has good range but does not get a lot of height.
    McLaughlin, on the other hand, gets the ball up quickly and has a good leg. Kellan looked a little inconsistent with his kickoffs but I would not be surprised if he does turn out to be a very good D1 kicker. Of course, what matters most as a kicker is what you can do when the pressure is on.

3. Gabbert looked good but I still sense a little limp. He clearly is the best at making good judgments with where to go with the ball. Henry was ok. I think the jury is still out on Kopp. Martin got on him twice for decisions he made. I did not see that with either of the other quarterbacks. I was impressed with Gotkowski again as I was at the Spring game. He throws a good ball but more importantly he seems able to make quick decisions.

4. Jordan Brunson was the running back with the first team for the most part. Josh Ringer was in there for one series with that group. He spent other reps with the Threes. Dylan Downing was with the Twos. I don’t remember seeing Kenny Tracy play but I may have missed him. D’Shawntae Jones got some playing time at RB as well.

5. The receivers who got the most time with the first team were Virgil, Tracy, McDonald and Andre Johnson. The newcomers at wideout who look that may get playing time were Lynell Billups-Williams and Braylon Ison. Kam Perry also got some reps and may also be looked at for some return duties.

6. Charlie Nank appeared to have the open guard spot on the first team.

7. The true freshman most likely to get significant playing time is Javon Hammonds. He was lining up at DE with first team for much of the scrimmage.

8. Hardrick did appear to be the CB lining up on the other side of Strader. Luke Evans, the transfer from Miss State, made a nice breakup with the second team D. True freshman Jackson Pons was also on the field with the Twos.

9. The only injury I saw appeared to be Jackson Kuwatch with what appeared to be a leg injury. I think I also saw Aidan Howard a freshman OL in crutches on the sideline who did not suit up.

10. I agree with Coach Martin that the team did not look ready for prime time. However, I remember thinking the same thing last year. Unfortunately, that also carried over to the first game last year with UM. I take faith in the fact that Martin’s team have generally always gotten better as the year progresses.The only problem is that this is the year we really have to be ready to go the first month of season if we are to be able to make national noise,

10 Likes

like his hat choices?

1 Like

Henry Winkler from The Waterboy wishes he looked like Chuck.

Robert J Oppenheimer called, he wants his hat back

I don’t know, he might be on to something

LaxDaddy, thanks for taking the time to lay all this information out. Those of us not there really appreciate your observations and clarity.

3 Likes