Fly the Flag Week 2

In my world we only Fly the Flag with a win over another FBS OOC team. No flags for beating St Francis, Eastern Kentucky or Robert Morris!

So here’s what is on tap this weekend:

Akron at Michigan State
Kent State at Oklahoma
Ohio at Penn State
South Alabama at Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan at Louisiana
NIU at Tulsa
UMass at Toledo

I only feel confident about one: Toledo. I think it’s a toss up as to the next possibility between CMU and NIU. Anything else would undoubtedly be earth shattering.

What does the board think?

1 Like

NIU is a touchdown dog and Central is a touchdown fave FYI.

So which one flies the flag?

1 Like

And I my world, a team only flies a flag against a P5 team, not the likes of UMass.

1 Like

I would agree but I don’t think Steinbrecher wants to limit it to that.

Could easily see wins for the following:

South Alabama at Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan at Louisiana
NIU at Tulsa
UMass at Toledo

2 Likes

There should be no cause for extra celebration for any win over UMass. Many FCS teams would/could beat UMass.

2 Likes

Your definition is not what the “flying the flag” idea is all about and is not what our commissioner had in mind. We are in direct competition with the other G5 leagues. Our playoff compensation is based on how we rate at the end of the year in comparison with the other 4 G5 leagues. With the new playoff format, we will also be in direct competition with the other 4 G5 leagues to get into the playoffs and reap the financial awards.

3 Likes

Dick…That’s what I thought. I was at the game four years ago at Coastal when Eastern beat them. The Eagles flew the flag afterwards.

Fyi we put a flag on a scoreboard for beating LIU last year

I disagreed and posted on here- but some objected

I am sure wins vs LIU Was not what the commissioner had in mind for the pirate flag

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The Flying of the Flag should be reserved for OOC FBS wins…

4 Likes

Whichever reason the flag flies, remember to have the RedHawk head facing the correct way

1 Like

There is no RedHawk on that flag…it’s just a black and white skull and crossbones flag.

They can do whatever they’d like. Nesca stated what was in his world, and I did the same.

That LIU win was the equivalent of beating Bishop Sycamore.

3 Likes

if flying the flag is the equivalent of hanging a tomahawk plaque in the locker room for beating temple, north texas, marshall, then i’m out of this participation trophy world of the MAC…

2 Likes

No it’s not. It’s strictly a Steinbrecher thing. See Dick’s earlier explanation. Our last “Tomahawk Win” was in 2007 against Syracuse unless you count the 2011 win over Army or the 2012 win over then nationally ranked Ohio. I don’t even know what we would call those wins nowadays.

Never heard of MAC game as a Tomahawk win…could be wrong.

That’s why I said “unless you count” - I’m guessing OU or UT could be ranked in the top five and we wouldn’t consider it one. Army possibly.

Central being humiliated by South Alabama in Mt Pleasant. 31-7 midway through the second quarter…