Fire Jack Owens

I don’t personally know coach O. Seems like a good guy. Represents Miami well.But I am a fan. Not an analyst. Not a coach or player. I know some basketball. Enough to know I don’t know as much as one who played at D1 or coaches. But I do know wins and losses. I know what my expectations for our program are. I have said if we could make it to a Great 8, I could die a happy man. But 4-7 vs D1 in year 5, with a downward trajectory, is not what I expect. Yes, I want more.
Is that too much to ask?

4 Likes

Your idea of the absolute pinnacle of our basketball program is so far beyond the realm of possibility that you get it’s proper name confused with the 1975 Reds lineup.

2 Likes

Do we know for sure who is actually leaving? We have a bunch of seniors, but with the extra year of eligibility I believe the only guys who are definitively gone are Brown and Ayah. If Lairy comes back and we only lose one or two seniors other than those out of eligibility, I could see us being decent again next season.

“decent again next season.” Please explain as I do not yet see decent this season

5 Likes

True. 4-7 with losses to such powers as Indiana State, Bellarmine and Western Illinois.

1 Like

Are Etzler and Ames injured? Do they have a future with this coaching staff?

900 fans in attendance, that says it all about the level of excitement around the program right now.

Hard to recruit real talent when high schoolers are playing in front of larger crowds than what they would see at Millet during a visit.

3 Likes

I seem to recall that Kent State made the Great/Elite 8 in 2002. It has been done. It can be done. With difficulty, yes. But other mid-major teams have made it that far, and beyond. The list includes such powers as Indiana State (Bird) Finals, Idaho State, Temple, George Mason (Final 4), Davidson, Virginia Commonwealth, Dayton ('14), and Loyola-Chicago. So your it’s “beyond the realm of possibility” has been proven wrong–repeatedly…
Obviously, I aimed high. It’s aspirational. Why not? I didn’t go “beyond the realm” and hope for a NC. Or a Final Four. So, I’m not sure what your point is. It’s my dream. Not yours. Obviously you feel it’s “beyond the realm”, therefore, it must be beyond my realm as well. And the “Big Red Machine” won it all and was a power. And yes, I know the difference.
I’m always optimistic that it could happen to us–some day. But I’m not delusional.

1 Like

A half dozen or more MAC teams have made it to the Sweet 16. Ohio was also elite 8 in 1964. It can be done.

1 Like

Sorry I missed OU–sort of.

1 Like

What do you call a double digit road win against the best team in the conference?

We are what we are. A .500 team with the most senior laden team in recent memory. No way Sayler sacks Jack. Sayler is the czar of mediocrity and there is zero pressure from above to improve.

1 Like

#MACtion

You have to make a Super Sixteen before you can make a Great 8. And then…if everything goes our way, maybe we could make the Fantastic Four.

3 Likes

Thanks for the math lesson. I obviously watched our 1999 NCAA games. I knew, all by myself, if we won and made the Sweet 16, we’d get another week of pub for Miami and, yes, if we won again, we’d play in the Fantastic/Great/Elite/Awesome/Whatever 8.
Maybe even end up in the Final/Fantastic/Orgasmic Four.

1 Like

Just once I want us to be there at the end when CBS plays One Shimmering Minute.

3 Likes

At least we got new red seats a few years ago. If that doesn’t scream commitment, I’m not sure what does….

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree.

An anomaly.

1 Like

Hell it would be nice just to go waltzing again.

2 Likes