ESPN Post Bowl Rankings

ESPN ranks Miami at #85 overall, #27 among the 65 G-5 teams. Im pretty sure that’s our best ranking since the Independence Bowl team in 2004. In my opinion, our next step back to relevance would be finishing at #65 or higher overall and in the top 15 of G5.

Can we get there in 2022?

1 Like

It is possible, but I wouldn’t bet a lot on it. It would be great to be relevant again.

2 Likes

ESPN has us finishing 4th in the MAC this season after the bowls behind Toledo, Western and Central. They obviously gave Toledo a boost because of their showing at ND and they discounted our win over Central after their win over a good PAC 12 team. They also gave us a boost after beating UNT and discounted our losses to Eastern and Ohio.

2 Likes

What are these rankings?

ESPN’s.

College Football Power Index on the ESPN site. I tried to cut and paste it but it didn’t work.

I would have to imagine we were higher in 2010 after a 10-win season and beating a ranked NIU team.

1 Like

We’re also 85th among FBS teams in Sagarin (behind three FCS schools so we’re 88th overall), ahead of a few P5 programs for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

In the final SP+ rankings (the computer rankings by Bill Connelly, a writer for ESPN) we are 73 with a rating of 1.5 meaning that we’d be favored by 1.5 on a neutral field against the “average” FBS team. Toledo at 56 and a rating of 6.9 is the only MAC team ahead of us. We are ahead of several P5 teams.

64th offense, 67th defense, just weighed down a bit by the 101st special teams.

3 Likes

I was thinking so, too. That’s why I asked which ranking these were.
Probably fairly close.

1 Like

Nope. They ranked us #90 at the end of 2010. That was relatively worse than this year as there were only 120 teams in 2010.

That 2010 team finished with a point differential of -23. 6 of their conference wins were by one possession. Credit to them for getting 10 wins and a title, but they weren’t an especially good team.

3 Likes

Better than 7-6.

1 Like