Dumb random sports question

A friend of mine has a daughter who is ranked in equestrian and is looking for colleges to compete at. I told her when I was at Miami the women’s equestrian program was very highly ranked. But I see no mention on the site. Is it no longer? Also, they tore down the track I liked to go to and bet on the ponies. Place was bleak as hell but always a good time listening to the drunks yell “Run you stupid SOB!”

2 Likes

I’m pretty certain Mismi still has a robust equestrian program. It’s either a club sport or something not regulated by the NCAA anyway. I think they are on the process of significantly improving the program’s facilities.

1 Like

https://miamioh.edu/campus-services/miami-recreation/program-areas/equestrian-center/equestrian-team/index.html

1 Like

The most recent edition of the Miamian that I got a week or two ago said that they’re building a new indoor facility at the same location.

1 Like

https://www.givetomiamioh.org/s/916/16/interior-flah.aspx?sid=916&gid=1&pgid=18037&sitebuilder=1&contentbuilder=1

3 Likes

So it’s only a club sport then. All good, just curious.

When I was a kid I had a derelict friend who once took me to harness racing. That is the single craziest sporting event I’ve witnessed in my entire life. If you’ve never seen it, it’s not that far off from watching a Roman Chariot race. Some of the wipeouts I saw that day were equal parts horror and comedy.

Here’s the information you need. Equestrian is an NCAA sport. But few schools can support or afford it

http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/sports/equestrian.htm

Side note, Miami just built a big brand new facility for their equestrian program.

1 Like

Professor, if I’m reading this correctly, Miami like me likes to bet on the ponies. If only they felt the same way about hoops. India Oats!

I’d never been to a harness race until this past Labor Day (Northfield track around Cleveland), you’ve got that right.

1 Like

It’s equal parts frightening, sad, exhilarating, and redneck! Bread and circus, baby!

1 Like

Used to watch it at the Big Red Mile in Lexington. I think they still run there. Also saw them at the Warren County Fair in Lebanon.

If I ever sell my screenplay (Smokey and The Bandit 4:son of a bandit) I’m going to shoot large segments of it at Scioto Downs. I hope it’s still around.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Baylor has a good program usually. I went to the harness track about a 45 minute ride from campus in the early 90s. Won $440 on a boxed superfecta and never went again.

2 Likes

I’m all for the horses, but how is it that we have money for this but not basketball?

1 Like

It was funded by donors. Seems as if about 400 students ride per semester.

2 Likes

Because maybe Miami (like me) likes to bet on the ponies. Maybe the thrill and stench of the track is in their blood.

Also if I recall correctly there are a couple of equestrian classes that are offered so there’s a quasi academic purpose as well. I’m sure to take those you have to pay an additional fee to help support maintenance and such so it’s not a complete money drain.

1 Like

This is all starting to feel like we are on the cusp of solving a mystery! My theory? Miami is trying to kill men’s basketball off to then raze Millett and built a harness track on the site! Instant profit for MU!

I’ve never seen a wipeout. I’m sure they happen but I don’t think they’re very common.

1 Like