Do our 3 fball portal transfers have '25 eligibility

My son and I were talking about how we believe that if you asked all three, they would say they wished they would have stayed in Oxford. He asked if any have another year of eligibility and might consider transferring back. I’d love to see it for all three.
Anyone know?

1 Like

Never mind. Just got motivated and checked my self. Woullard and Larvadain do not. I assume Amos does not either. So, a fleeting thought crashes and burns.

1 Like

Those guys transferred because of money, not playing time. If they wanted to play football, they’d have been in Chicago with Miami

6 Likes

I don’t disagree. But I am pretty sure they blew smoke up their ass about how good they are, how they fit in, that they are “projected” to be on the field. They also probably said that playing for them would improve their draft status. Now, the best they can hope for is to be an UDFA.

Graham Nicholson’s transfer to Alabama may also not work out as well for him on the field.

Through two games he has not attempted one field goal. Alabama has been much better than Miami in taking advantage of red zone opportunities and not having to settle for field goals.

That means less chances for Graham to show what he can do.

As Bama gets into the SEC schedule that may change but he may end up with far fewer FG opportunities this year. If you are not kicking a lot of FG’s it is going to be harder to repeat on the Lou Groza award.

He is 13-13 on XP’s this year.

1 Like

I can’t speak for any of our transfers out but the unfortunate reality is that many college athletes come from challenged economic backgrounds and have a lot of pressure to capitalize on their current value while in college. When the NIL landscape is the Wild West you’ll get wealthy donors of power programs who are willing to send over a Brinks truck for portal recruiting, and clearly they don’t mind throwing cash at stars and depth pieces even if it may not be ideal for the player’s long-term future.

4 Likes

Will Reichard attempted 28/26/25 field goals in the three full seasons he played, Graham attempted 20/23/28 in the past three seasons for him. I think he’ll be fine. Not a fan of how he left, but pretty clearly a positive decision from the $ standpoint to get a payday for this season before trying to make it in the NFL.

3 Likes

The overwhelming majority of these guys are making more in college than they’ll ever make in professional football.

3 Likes

Correct, and I won’t begrudge anyone who takes the bag when they have the opportunity as long as they aren’t an asshole about it. But it does leave them susceptible to getting screwed on playing time if they aren’t careful, unless that’s something they don’t care about.

3 Likes

It is completely understandable to pursue the bag of cash (assuming it is actually being paid as promised). But it must hurt one’s ego quite badly to go from a star to a bench player who barely plays garbage minutes.

3 Likes