Denver playoffs: Final series of the season

I just checked the transfer portal.
Crap.

Persson latest RedHawk to transfer – View From the Glass

2 Likes

We’re renewing ours. So that’s at least two.

We need alcohol sales in the main concourse.

3 Likes

I suppose the white elephant in the room is who can convince to come here to replace some of these player losses? And will any really good players want to transfer here?

Is that what they call a freezing cold take.

At what point does the administration have a serious talk about dropping hockey?

1 Like

Here we go again.:hushed:

1 Like

We renewed too,4 tix.

2 Likes

And some decent grub! Pretzels are not an entree’

No Doubt beer in the concourse.

1 Like

So you guys are saying you need to drink to watch this product?

1 Like

No sport at Miami is self-sustaining. If you’re interested in the finances of the different sports, I’d suggest looking at the NCAA FRS reports posted to Miami’s site.

In FY 2022, here’s the breakdown of institutional support for the big three sports:

Source Football Basketball Hockey
Student Fees 5,649,914 2,042,975 687,696
Direct Institutional Support 1,536,165 191,884 519,975
Indirect Institutional Support 0 0 907,847
Less transfers to institution -15,673 0 -100,243
Total Institutional Support 7,170,406 2,234,859 2,015,275
Total Expenses Reported 10,362,801 2,712,121 2,540,578
Percentage of Expenses 86.4% 82.4% 79.3%

That indirect support number for hockey is “Indirect Institutional Support - Athletic Facilities Debt Service, Lease and Rental Fees”

debt service payments (principal and interest, including internal loan programs), leases and rental fees for athletics facilities for the reporting year provided by the institution to athletics but not charged to athletics

That sounds like the Goggin expenses that are covered by the university, but I’m not sure.

Have to take the numbers from those reports with a grain of salt since sometimes things end up in a different category than what you’d expect. One interesting tidbit though, hockey had the highest ticket sale revenue at $277,937 compared to football’s $250,094 and basketball’s $139,013.

3 Likes

Over or Under 5 wins next season?

I figured the inevitable trashing of Savage and Cassetti as not all that good would happen. Cassetti tied for the lead in goals last year. Savage is one of our two draft picks, and I’m told that’s very important. If Savage “didn’t set the world on fire” last year, I’d lay odds that the Red Wings have told him to get out of that dumpster fire and go somewhere with better talent and better coaching so that they might be better able to see what he can really do.

Anyone thinks that Miami will be at all attractive to NHL draft picks is really kidding themselves. I’d be interested to hear a counter argument as to how Miami can possibly attract the level of talent to compete in the NCHC moving forward. What can it possibly offer these guys?

1 Like

NOTHING. Is why Miami hockey has already proved the program can’t compete in the NCHC.

1 Like

Only if the beer is not well carbonated.

1 Like

What has Miami men’s hoops done in the past ten years to convince talented players to commit to Miami and compete at a high level in the mediocre MAC? Nothing. Yet Travis Steele replaced dreadfully unsuccessful Jack Owens and in one season made the MAC tournament, halted a 7 game losing streak to Ohio and recruited what appears to be the best incoming freshman class in years for the upcoming season - in spite of our playing in an outdated and quiet Millett Hall.

Why can’t something similar happen with hockey? The hockey facilities are comparatively far better than those of basketball.

3 Likes

In basketball a key player or two can really turn a team around; I am no hockey expert but I think it takes a lot more talent up and down the line to compete in the NCHC.

We will see what transpires in the portal and recruiting for Miami, but I am guessing that it would take ALOT to convince a top tier player to come here to play now…Savage’s leaving (despite the strong Miami ties) kinda feels like the end of the road to me.

And, if those losses cannot be adequately replaced this year, then Sayler will probably be forced to replace Berg. (or wait and hope the current hockey conference implodes due to NCAA rules and we can re-form a MAC-based league in which we can reasonably compete and allow the students and alums to enjoy a few more wins).

1 Like

The right coach could land one or two unicorns by affording the right kids an opportunity to play right away. Not talking a Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovetchkin, a Connor McDavid or even a TJ Oshie but two or three kids who lots of other kids know can really play. That will instantly attract others.

But leaving an unsuccessful coach in place who just had five or six of his best players bolt in his final contract year is a recipe for disaster.

The time to make the change is now. That’s what should be happening behind the scenes at the national coaches meetings at the Frozen Four.

1 Like

I guess I misread an earlier post. Berg’s contract expires in May 2025. Next season is a make or break year and he’s going into it on the short end of a 10 minute major starting with a 5 on 3.

1 Like