Dae Dae Grant can break Ron Harper's career scoring record

He has two years of eligibility left.

1 Like

Call me ambivalent about thisā€¦if Dae Dae wants to stay, great, but if his heart is set on leaving for ā€œgreener pasturesā€, then I hope he does so Steele can start to develop his own cohesive team.

1 Like

Iā€™m here for the Daely news.

2 Likes

***5 year ā€œ recordā€.

He was in the portal before Steele was hired, no? Tells me thereā€™s at least a chance, however slight, that he comes back. Assuming Steele wants him backā€¦ which may or may not be the case.

1 Like

As I recall he did not enter the portal until after Steele was hired.

I believe it is to his benefit to stay if the Dukes are his best option. However, he has to make that decision.

If he leaves it gives Steele more flexibility to put together the roster he would like for upcoming season and the future.

I hope Dae Dae stays. I think with the right help and coaching he could be a first team all MAC selection. While the A10 is better than the MAC Duquesne is not a step above a good MAC team. However I am not sure I want Ron Harpers scoring record to fall because of the covid year

1 Like

Maybe Ron is behind his portal entryā€¦LOL

In my opinion, and in my analysis of the numbers, Grant is a better all-around offensive player whoā€™s improved noticeably since coming to Miami. This past year, while his 3 point field goal percentage took a hit, his 2 point field goal percentage increased significantly. During each broadcast, our announcers would talk about the work heā€™d do after games and it showed. You could tell he would search for his spot and pull up for his floater. Also, Grantā€™s assist rate has always been higher than his turnover rate, the opposite for Sibande. Grantā€™s assist rate was 24% of the possessions he played this year which put him in the top 250 individually in all of Division 1. I would welcome Grantā€™s offensive ability back, especially with a group that may not have a lot of offensive firepower.

But with a new coach, it gets down to buying in. Are you all in on how Coach Steele will want to play. And itā€™s pretty safe to say theyā€™ll be an increased emphasis on defense. IMO, Grant was ok on the ball defensively, but below average away from the ball. He gambled too much, let himself get taken out by screens too often, and was late on shooters. If heā€™s going to buy into playing defense, possibly sacrificing some energy on offense, then I want him back. But if thereā€™s any hesitancy in committing more to the defensive end, itā€™s better for everyone to go their separate ways. Nothing against him or Coach, but itā€™s better to make that choice now than have disagreement during the season.

5 Likes

I dunno. Harper has been kinda dickish on Twitter lately. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing the record fall. Be nice to have an NCAA Tourney appearance to go with it, though.

Grant breaking the record would make it feel very hollow to me.

1 Like

2 Likes

Duquesne has taken a hit with portal defections. If thatā€™s Dae Daeā€™s destination, I would have thought they would have announced it by now.

ā€œDae Dae Grant is officially a prime target for UTEP, as the Miami (OH) transfer took his official visit this past weekend.ā€

(Posted today)

1 Like

These schools are not great. Iā€™m suprised better programs arenā€™t interested. Hmmā€¦maybe he ends up staying with us.

Cue Jive in 3,2,1ā€¦

No one has a crystal ball. Iā€™d be ok being right here.

1 Like

Man, I would love if he stayed. IMO, Dae Dae is the best scoring 2G in the MAC. Canā€™t fault people for wanting him to come back. Get him back, bring in a transfer big who can be an immediate impact and we have a decent team.

Iā€™m keeping my eyes open for a big, but I wouldnā€™t be sad if @YellowNumber5 was right.

2 Likes

I think coach Steele would have taken him at X. Thatā€™s how strongly I feel about his game. And the fact that Iā€™m starting the basketball centric religion that will celebrate him if he does return.

1 Like