Criticism of the special teams video

First, I would like to say just how much I have enjoyed all the breakdowns and how informative they have been and what a good job Terry Bridge and Coach Martin have done. However, the special teams breakdown was very incomplete as all they talked about was the kickers and long snappers. Well, special teams is so much more than that. Last year we had a guy who led the nation in special teams tackles and his name was never mentioned. I think we led the nation in blocked field goals and extra points and those guys were never mentioned. What about Cade McNamara and all his great punt returns or Kevin Davis and his kickoff returns. We were ranked #1 in the nation on special teams by ESPN because of a lot more than just the kicker and punter, and preseason we are #1 again this year. All those guys should have been talked about.

11 Likes

Maybe CM had a meltdown when he finished speaking about Graham. Maybe he was so distracted by his outrage that Terry cut it short. But he should have acknowledged the great work by those you mentioned which lead to us us being the #1 ST. They deserved the recognition.

1 Like

Cade McDonald maybe.

3 Likes

I would agree with the basic premise that special teams is more than FG kicking and punting. Our punt return game was enormous last year. The kickoff return to start the 2019 MAC title was really important

3 Likes

I had exactly the same reaction as Dick when I watched the special teams analysis. It felt like the majority of the players who will determine our success or failure weren’t even mentioned.