Cook Place

Cook Place has been torn down. If you are familiar with Miami history this was the residence of Dr. Cook who operated the Oxford Retreat (Fisher Hall) & The Pines (Wilson Hall) sanatariums and sat on the west end of what is now Cook Field. I believe most recently it was used as office space but hasn’t been occupied for several years and was in pretty bad shape. After Wilson was torn down it was left as green space, I would assume the same for Cook Place.

1 Like

Same as in “Cook Field”?

1 Like

If you look on google maps satellite view, it has not been updated, and Cook Place is still visible.

According to the MU archives the Cook family sold what would be Wilson and Cook Place along with a little over 14 acres to the university in 1936. The sale was contingent on the family maintaining the residence for their lifetime. The first university use of it was in 1951. The land for Cook Field very well could have been part of that sale given the name.

1 Like

My mom worked at Cook Place for maybe 2 decades in housing and guest services. My parents have a cool pencil sketch of the building hanging in their house to this day.

3 Likes

Exactly.

I’m not totally recalling the building. There was a maintenance building near cook field and an old Miami Field concession shack. I don’t recall any grand house…

It wasn’t a grand house.

1 Like

White stucco with a terra cotta roof. There were tennis courts behind it and the Physical Facilities building was right next door.

Maybe they’ll find Ron Tammen?

2 Likes

Speaking of Ron, there’s a blog writer who is actively investingating his case if you’re not already a follower. Sometimes the blog posts could be more succinct but overall she has some interesting theories developing.
The main premise is that Ron was recruited into the CIA by a Miami professor who had connections to a CIA hypnosis/interrogation study and he didn’t pass away until 2002. She hit a bunch of dead ends along the way but started investigating stamps that are on his FBI documents and found lots of CIA connections.
The 10-Minute Ronald Tammen Speed Read – A Good Man Is Hard to Find — My Search for Ronald H. Tammen, Jr.

1 Like