Coaching is not good enough

The only Some things about this staff are outstanding, but the failure, to teach and correct simple basics are unacceptable. The staff has done the hard work, they have put together a roster with enough talent and the girls have the attitude and desire to succeed, brut in watching us play I get really frustrated with the total failure to teach and correct simple basics. We had the same issues under Fantanarosa and Wrighta, but when Duffy came in she immediately corrected those issues.
The turnovers just make me want to scream. Our two principal ball handlers ( Wolf and Scott) put no value on making safe passses and protecting the ball. This staff has taught the tam that moving the Baal quickly from player to player is the key to success, but the girls just quickly pass the ball to the next girl WITHOUT ever looking to see if there is a safe passing lane. Also. time and time again, for 3 years now, girls off the ball just stand there. They have not been taught to move to a spot where the dribbler can see them and give them a safe passing lane. When someone drives, all the other girls should be moving too a spot where they can be seen by the dribbler and create a safe passing lane.

Here is another simple thing to teach, which we hav failed to do for 3 years now. We use the big girls to set high screens to initiate the offense, Well, the big girls have not learned to do this correctly and repeat the same mistakes every single game. The guards have also failed to execute this simple move correctly. We probable average 3 or 4 moving screen foul calls a game. These turnovers are even worse than other to’s because not only do we lose a possession, our player accumulates a personal foul and the team accumulates a team foul, putting the opponent to the foul line quicker.

Our big girls seem to think that they need to pick the opponent. NO!! Their job is to set a scene, and not move until our dribbler has passed the. DO NOT Sri k out your leg or your butt, those are moving screen fouls. Our guards are just as clueless ( poorly instructed and drilled). Often they will start dribbling past the screener too soon, before the big girl gets set, also resulting in a moving screen foul. It is the job of the guard to wait until the screen is set, and it is the job of the guard to run her defender into the screen or beat her around the screen and turn the corner. None of these hints are difficult to teach, just work on it every day for a couple of minutes and keep reinforcing the teaching points and he problems will disappear.

Blockquote

4 Likes

I am having a terrible time using my I-pad and this new site. This site seems to guess what word I am typing and prints it instead of the word I actually typed, plus I have had all kinds of issues trying to correct all the typos. Anyway, I know my last few posts have many spelling and typing mistakes and some wrong words but I have given up trying to correct them.

1 Like

@DICK has hit the nail on the head. The failure to correct the on court mistakes is costing us games. Coach Hendrix even mentioned turnovers in her post game presser. If she, and presumably her staff, recognize the issue, why doesn’t it get corrected?

1 Like

By year three, if these types of “mistakes” are not corrected, then Miami has obviously hired the wrong coach.
In evaluating coaches to hire, the AD or committee needs to be familiar enough with basketball (in this case) to be able to watch tape of a prospective hire before the interview so that they can intelligently bring up observations about a candidate’s shortfalls and get answers…or, if the coach is clueless, then move on to the next candidate.
After a coach is hired, the coach must also answer to the “higher-ups” for continuing errors in the program. It appears that the women’s BB staff is oblivious to what is happening on the court…or has simply “forgotten” to correct the several obvious and repeated errors by the team…

2 Likes

The choir is listening intently, Dick. I have been bitching about this for a long time. Sure, I would normally want to see practices before severely criticizing a coach, but this is an exception now. If these young women turned the ball over with so little thought in high school why did we recruit them. We seemed to be complicit in their regression.

1 Like

I’ll have to admit I haven’t watched. I did attend both games of the Thanksgiving tournament our women played in here at UNCW in 2016. We were dreadful, by a wide margin the most incompetent team in a field of four mid-majors. They got blown out both games. I am aware there has been a coaching change since then. It’s disheartening to see not much has changed.

That’s the new keyboard with iOS and Safari. The site has no predictive text capabilities.

Jive is, of course, correct. It is not the site, it is your keyboard. Eye um haven know Gribble spelling stuffing with this’s sight. Must be just lucky.

3 Likes

Dick, I got a new iPhone and have sent some absolutely bonkers emails on the go. Starting to get better. Ps, remember years ago when Microsoft had that paper clip character “clippy” who used to offer up suggestions for edits? It wasn’t very helpful, as when I typed “yet” for instance, he’d always be like “do you mean “yeti” and I’d find myself yelling, “no you dumbass! I didn’t mean the abominable snowman!” Funny how things change and yet stay the same. Ok, back to the thread!

3 Likes

Y#5–Very funny! Thx for the morning chuckle.

1 Like

I would have to go back and look at the statistics from Hendrix’s time at High Point to know if TOs were also a problem there, but the whole origin story for her getting this job was that we played a game against them and people in the AD (along with a couple people on MHT) were blown away by how well coached they were.

I have never been blown away by this staff. For an indication of what a good coach can do look no further than Megan Duffy’s first year, when she won 20 games with players largely recruited by someone else and who were 11-21 the previous year.

1 Like

Oh how I miss sweet, sweet Megan :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

She’s 54-18 so far in her time at Marquette!

1 Like

I don’t follow the women, but Dick’s earnest critique could certainly be applied to men, in the sense of “same old, same old.”

I blame an athletic director who does not seem to have lot of insight into what makes a winning coach. Who can motivate? Who can develop? Who can promote? Who can (gasp) make the players sit up and take notice? Instead we get veritable yes people, grateful for the job, hopeful for success, but not willing to rock boats. We get what we pay for is what I’m told, and I no longer disagree.

2 Likes