CM on a Hot Seat list

Sorry but Sayler doesn’t give a flying you know what about this board.

2 Likes

That 8 win automatic contract rollover is interesting…we’ve only hit 8 wins once (8-6) in the 9 year Chuck era…

I have stated in other threads my personal opinion that Miami attaining 8 wins should be much more of a regular occurrence in terms of defining program excellence/success, with the “down” years being 6-6 /7-5.

2 Likes

CoolPapa: I was referring to Sayler noting the Lester firing in the press etc,…not hearing it here on our board.

1 Like

I am a little surprised that the Lester firing didn’t generate more discussion on our board given the rather remarkable similarity in Lester’s coaching record vs. Chuck’s these past 6 years. As noted, Chuck did have one MAC title and Lester none. Still, it is apparent t that Western administration is not satisfied with winning 6-7 games most every year. Our administration seems OK with it, or perhaps feel we have no viable option given the buyout cost and uncertainty of a new Head Coach and staff.

2 Likes

B/c we’ve already talked about ad nauseam prior to the Lester release…LOL

2 Likes

Tim also took over a team that just went to a NY6 - Chuck’s team couldn’t have been further from that.

1 Like

I don’t think Chuck is on the Hot Seat at all currently. Football is the Men’s top performing major sport now.

1 Like

Next year will be a pivotal year for Chuck and his staff IMO.

5 wins or fewer and I think he may be given his walking papers.

6-7 wins and we will be in the same spot wondering what went wrong and why the program’s progress has stalled. There will be a lot of pressure on Sayler.

8 or more wins and he’ll be asking for another contract

2 Likes

“The parable of the sparrow in winter” has never been more evident than it is currently with Miami athletics. It ends: “If you’re warm and happy in a pile of crap, just stay there.”

We should not be celebrating mediocrity. As one of our esteemed late coaches used to say: “If you’re not making progress, you’re falling behind.”

2 Likes

Yeah to me 8 wins is the key over/under. If Chuck gets to 8 next year, prolly get an extension…even maybe w 7 with our program’s low expectations. If he only wins 5 and misses a bowl, back in the hot seat and would expect no extension. Again, all the signals are evident that some changes need to be made now with regards to play calling and use of our skill players.

Correct but PJ took a number of the best players with him as I recall. But your point is valid…at the same time the comparisons were made over the last 6 years, forgiving Chuck for the first three total rebuild years.

1 Like

For me, a 10th year should mean no less than 8-4 (2-2 again OOC and no less than 6-2 in a bad MAC). Then we should win either the MACC game or our bowl game to finish no worse than 9-5. Anything less (8-6 or worse) and I think it’s time for a change at the top. It’s not out of bounds to apply considerable pressure to win fairly big in year 10.

2 Likes

Is Chuck’s contract $ comparable to the rest of the MAC?

No, the USA today database is behind a paywall, but Chuck’s pay is under half of what Jason Candle makes… He’s not top 5 in the conference.

I’d say it’s comparable/middle of the pack currently, but after this coaching cycle change could be one of the cheaper ones in the MAC.

Isn’t Candle getting double Chuck’s ammount @ 1.2m?

1 Like

…Western is likely to pay out upwards of a mil to get a replacement for Lester…but they were willing to fire him for mediocre results and eat a $500K buyout as well.

1 Like

The most recent listing I could find online free - Boyd’s Bets 2019 figures - had eight MAC coaches lumped in a narrow group near the bottom of the then 127 FBS teams. CM was at the top of that cohort, fifth highest paid in the MAC. Candle, Lester, Solich and McElwain were the four highest paid.

The MAC at that point was the lowest paying conference. Although all of the MAC coach salaries have risen in the past three years, the conference is still probably the lowest paying one, right behind the Sun Belt.

1 Like

This article says CM was 7th in the MAC when he signed his extension in 2020.

1 Like

Which is where he currently sits, I believe, and that’ll probably drop after this round on the carousel

2 Likes

He’d apparently make more money taking a DC position at a decent P5 program. Miami - and most MAC programs - are basically driving the Kia Rios that are parked in the country club lot beside the Bentleys, Jags and Benz.

1 Like