CM on a Hot Seat list

@Redsea You’re absolutely correct about the schedule over-exaggeration. A very good MAC team should be able to hang with both UK and UC for four quarters and crush both Northwestern and RMU. NIU hung with UK without Lombardi and only lost by a TD.

Martin has now acknowledged that “everybody deals with injuries throughout a season”, not just us.

A coach with nine years experience in building a program ought to understand the importance of building depth. To a great extent he had built it on defense and lost much of it through no fault of his own. To be fair, I think he did a decent job there of patching the holes through the portal.

But all that depth in the running back room hasn’t seemed to matter a whole lot and it became clear after game one there was absolutely no depth of experience in what looks to be a decent QB room.

Our now highly-experienced offensive line hasn’t played like anything special either all season. And, of course, our offensive schemes are pedestrian compared to many teams in the FBS and FCS.

If he can coach, he’ll squeeze exemplary performances out of this team tonight and next week and find just enough left in the tank to eke out two wins. We’ll see.

1 Like

Should never have extended. There is no other school in FBS that would put up with this level of chronic incompetence.

6 Likes

I can’t double heart or triple heart you comment. Is something wrong with HawkTalk?

I think also part of Coach Martin’s issue with the schedule this year was all the travel early in the year-only two home games in the first six games.

Well next year doesn’t look any better- @ Miami FL, @ Umass, @ UC to start before coming home to play James Madison. Not an easy noncon schedule :grimacing:

I don’t care if you have to fly around the world twice in a hot air balloon before landing in Amherst, you should still beat UMass next year.

4 Likes

And Miami lost at home to MTSU by 14 points

Yet lost to WMU at home…so whatever, injuries suck…Brett potentially could have been prevented…our issues have less to do with schedule and more to do with actually managing the game on it, IMO.

I would love to beat Miami next year. We did it my junior year in tennis. It can be done again!

A “very good” MAC team should go at least 2-2 with that OOC, having JMU at home. A team that loses 3 or 4 MAC games, going 7-5 or 6-6, is not only not a “very good” MAC team, it’s not a very good team. Going 9-3 or 8-4 would validate us as a “very good” MAC team. If we can’t get there, we’re just continuing to be mired in MAC mediocrity.

2 Likes

Important note: Miami OF FLORIDA lost at home to MTSU.

3 Likes

I stand embarrassed and corrected.

When we canceled our home-and-home series with Liberty we should’ve replaced it with an FCS home game imo - would have a good chance at starting 2-2 with a remote chance at 3-1 if we somehow pull of an upset against Da U/UC. With JMU not missing a beat in moving up to FBS, our pre-2022 standard of 1-3 looks like the most likely scenario.

If we don’t start playing at JMU’s level we’re continuing to fail.

1 Like

Why was Liberty canceled?

Didnt Liberty join a conference? I think a lot of their non conference got cancelled

2 Likes

Exactly. Liberty needed to replace many of their games with CUSA games.

Scraping out another 6-6 regular season record probably gets Chuck off the “hot seat”, but it doesn’t mean that Sayler should not still demand changes to the play selection, staff, and OC position in particular.

1 Like

Lester out at WMU after 6 years and no MAC titles…overall record last 6 years otherwise almost identical to Chuck’s…more discussion and analysis on Coaching carousel thread. A mention here as it is likely to catch Sayler’s attention.

1 Like

Lester was just given a 3-year extension thru 2025 after last season. He was making $600k.

That contract also gave him an automatic one-year extension beyond that for every season he had at least 8 wins.

However, buyout is only $500k despite 3 years left on the contract. Smart move by AD.

CM is making $550k but buyout is $750k until 2/1/24 when it goes to $0.

In other words, buyout is the same now as it will be at this time next year.