CHN story on the future of college hockey

I admittedly know little about the inner workings of college basketball or football, so I’m very curious what everything thinks about how this will effect Division I hockey, and specifically Miami.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2022/06/01_The-Transforming-NCAA-For.php

I think transfers are where the biggest impact is and will continue to be. Time has to be spent now to recruit the existing roster as well as the incoming one. If it goes to unlimited transfers that has to be a major consideration for programs because it will be endless. I don’t think the NIL will be as much of a bargaining chip for hockey as it is in higher profile sports but team performance will be huge. If a team has 2-3 bad seasons players are going to want to jump ship to a winning program for their Junior-Senior years even if they like the coach and school. A long term domino here is alumni base. Miami has always had a pretty strong alumni group. Transfers probably threaten that.
The #2 would then be the number of coaches. I can see teams that can afford it using the unlimited staff change to add coaches to help manage the expanded recruiting needs. I think the DOHO at most schools has a dual role doing some admin and some coaching. That would be an likely move to split those duties into two positions.
Taking away autobids for the tournament in hockey is unlikely. There’s just not enough teams or money involved to be an issue.
Unlimited scholarships is an interesting one. I’m surprised to see that North Dakota stayed at 18 when offered the opportunity to go over. If anyone has the money to do it they do. If they are on a restricted budget (obviously much larger than most) and have to choose between spending on increased scholarships (even partial) for 3rd and 4th line players vs amenities it appears that amenities would win out.

1 Like

Like with NILs, anything done will be to skew the advantage towards the monies conferences.

10 years ago when Miami was a college hockey power this would have been good news. But not now, sadly.

I’m expecting a lot of schools currently competing at the D1 level in multiple sports might come to the realization that trying to remain competitive in the new arms race is futile. I can see a lot of mid majors opting to “de-emphasize” and move to needs based aid only like the Ivy and Patriot Leagues currently operate.