Centrally Located Basketball Arena

Good memory! Makes sense as it takes a lot to reconfigure back and forth.

1 Like

Hasnā€™t there been perpetual rumors of an interior redo of Millett? If a facility project were on the table, wouldnā€™t a Millett redo be more expensive than a Goggin upgrade? Even setting aside costs, I think a Goggin upgrade would be preferable if itā€™s feasible from a technical standpoint.

1 Like

More dorms (especially freshman dorms) are located near Goggin. Itā€™s also slightly close to uptown and a lot of off campus housing. People can walk from all four directions to Goggin, while with Millett everyone is coming from the south.

1 Like

If I recall there was a study years ago relating to the class of avg student attendees and it was overwhelmingly Frosh (hockey was new / novelty to most). Goggin is next to south quad (Frosh) and the rec ctr where many students frequent. Millett is somewhat of a campus outpost and rarely used by the avg student and near the upper class dorms. Millett could have been retrofitted much cheaper than building a new Goggin - why do you think the hockey ppl didnā€™t want that and brokered a new arena near Frosh quad nowhere near the athletic complex which had the space and parking infrastructure?

1 Like

I think all this has been studied and the decision was made that the best move was to gut the insides of Millett and rebuild that. However, they have not been able to raise funds for the project. We have had no success in menā€™s basketball, womenā€™s basketball, or womenā€™s volleyball for quite a few years. We probably need to get something going in those programs to drive interest and maybe donors will appear. All 3 programs have new coaches who are committed to bringing those programs back to the top of the MAC.

Ran across this story today on Facebook.Deeper pockets at Toledo, I suppose.

Moved this because it feels more aligned with fundraising rather than the CMU game. Although Iā€™m assuming weā€™re bussing to Mt. Pleasant rather than flying.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall Millett being seriously considered as a ā€œreplacementā€ for the old Goggin, but I DO know that the university wanted to replicate Goggin in terms of having 2 ice sheetsā€¦one regulation for NCAA hockey (and HS tournaments, camps, etc.) and one for recreational skaters, broomball, and synchronized skating (as well as HS tournaments, camps, etc.). Plus, the new Goggin is right next to Central Quad, which is primarily upper classmen (at least it was when it was built). IIRC, only Porter Hall was a Freshman dorm back then. Having it next to the Rec. Center WAS a considerationā€¦as was the fact that there was land available there. Also, Miami was able to use state funds as a part of the project to build the new Gogginā€¦Iā€™m not sure those funds were available for a retrofit of Millett.

1 Like

Is old Goggin still around? Havenā€™t been back in a while.

A bit of a history lesson, Miami built Millett Hall in 1968 ($7.5M) as a multi-purpose facility for Menā€™s Basketball, Womenā€™s Basketball, Womenā€™s Volleyball, Indoor Track (never used for events that I am aware), concerts (Elton John, Barry Manilowā€¦), Other performances and University events. It also houses Miami ROTC and Miamiā€™s Athletic Department.

A pretty dynamic building. It has served Miami University for the past 55 years

Miami then built Goggin Ice Arena in 1976 for $2.7M. It served as a 2,850 seat arena for Miamiā€™s Hockey team and was the home for Miamiā€™s Sync. Skating and also had a separate 3/4 rink for Miami IM. It was demolished in September 2006

Miami then built the Goggin Ice Center that opened in 2006 for $34.8M. It has two (2) NHL size sheets of ice, and has a 4,000 capacity. It also hosts Miamiā€™s Sync Skating and Miami IM activities.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s my answer

My Commencement was held in Millett. At some point Miami outgrew it for that function.

A little more History.

The original plans for Millett did not include an indoor track & the stands would have come right down to the court, but the final version added the track. What a mistake that turned out to be.

Also, there were indoor track meets, I actually attended one or two. However, after a few years, they realized that it was not a good idea, that Miami had to hang wrestling mats at the end of the straightaway for the runners in the 60-yard dash that had to crash into the wall. That was the end of indoor track.

5 Likes

Old Goggin is gone.
Engineering building .,I think.sits there.?

2 Likes

I thought it was psychology

1 Like

Youā€™re probably correct.

Engineering (Now know as Garland Hall) sits on the lawn space in front of Old Goggin and the North Campus Parking Garage sits where the arena stood.

1 Like

Right!!! I was thinking of Benson Hall, next door

Yes Benton held Psychology. When Garland was built it was connected to Garland and both are part of Engineering.

Psychology is in building that sits outside of the North end zone of Miami Field.

I think the School of Engineering now spans 3 buildings. Garland, Benton, and the new McVey Data Science Building.

For those getting the lay of the land, the Psychology building is located on the other side of Pearson from Garland.

1 Like