Calumet College game thread

[quote=“Gene, post:21, topic:1997, full:true”]
Is Etzler a walk on or a scholarship player, and if he is, what did they see in him?]

“Entering his final year of high school basketball, Etzler has scored 995 career points and has pulled down 537 rebounds. He averaged 15.4 points and 8.2 rebounds as a junior, and was named Northwest Conference Player of the Year, District 8 Player of the Year and second team All-Ohio. As a sophomore, he was named first team All-NWC and honorable mention All-Ohio.
The 6-7 senior received others from other MAC schools, including Bowling Green and Toledo, but found Miami most appealing.”

1 Like

His brother Kalen is buried on the bench at OSU and was a highly ranked recruit. Perhaps he would like to move to Miami. If a spot comes open. Which I don’t believe we have right now. Kalen is a 6’8 PF

1 Like

Steele said postgame that Mabrey was fine and he was just being cautious.

Also said he anticipates Lewis and Williams will play against UC.

5 Likes

Your little ones have been nicely conditioned to face the right way at a Miami BB game…Hopefully, in time, they’ll have good reasons to face forward… :grinning:

1 Like

Haha, here’s hoping!

Good thing Mabry plays for Steele and not CM. CM would have run him back out there with a minute to play in the game!!

We will not stink if the full team can play. I’m gonna go all in on that.

I agree. Fully healthy or not, we’re not beating UC. Would be nice to win 2 of our final 3 OOC after that. MAC doesn’t appear to be anything too special this season overall. Could we play .500 in the conference? I’m thinking just under, but it’s a reasonable goal

1 Like

It would be nice to win 3 of 4-Wright State, Bellarmine and the non FBS school whose name escapes me. Give us some nice momentum heading into league play.

Game highlights here! Including our first 2 dunks of the season!

1 Like

Huge gap between the haves and have nots in the MAC this season. Still early, but per Kenpom:

1. Kent (64)
  2. Toledo (104)
  3. Akron (126)
  4. Ball St (182)
  5. Buffalo (187)
  6. Ohio (190)
  7. BG (269)
  8. CMU (283)
  9. Miami (284)
  10. EMU (300)
  11. NIU (308)
  12. WMU (321)

.500 seems unlikely, but we should be able to pick off a decent number of wins this season just based on the level of the competition.

The conclusion is, if you want to win in the MAC, don’t go to a directional school.

Insightful

1 Like

Is Miami (OH) a directional school since we’re clustered with others who attach a more limited directional bias to their title…and since so many of the unwashed cannot distinguish Oxford from Coral Gables?

By definition, Northwestern is a directional school. And based on the modern geographical landscape, it’s an inaccurate directional school,

1 Like

Typically, directional schools make for terrible branding. Northwestern and USC may be the exceptions. I’d still love to see a whole conference of sole directional members. It would be pure comedy.

Screw all the FBS realignment, lets start from scratch. There needs to be the Confusion Conference for the sake of trolling if nothing else:

Miami (Ohio)
Da U (Florida)
Washington (Seattle)
WashU (St. Louis)
Cornell (New York)
Cornell (Iowa)
Jacksonville (Florida)
Jacksonville State (Alabama)
Columbia (New York)
Columbia (Missouri)
Loyola (Chicago)
Loyola (New Orleans)
Loyola (Maryland)
Loyola (Marymount)

1 Like

I don’t know you, but I love you. And I don’t care who knows!

Well it is northwest of somewhere! Sort of like the country song “It’s 5 o’clock somewhere”!

You left out a few.
Indiana (Bloomington)
Indiana (Pennsylvania)
California (Berkely)
California (Pennsylvania)

3 Likes