Caleb Schaffer-Transferring

Pace would have played where ever he wanted. In a perfect world maybe he would have moved back to his original position but if Pace preferred McWoods position (the one he played as a soph) then he would have played there.

The point is Pace was the best defensive player in the conference per the coaches

We did not improve by losing him. We dont have to guess on that. This isnt a grey area

We are not going to improve by losing Brett Gabbert

We are not going to improve by losing Caleb Schaffer

I understand the pros of the portal for the athletes but I root for Miami

You better get used to it.

It’s the new normal for college athletics.

FCS goes to G5, G5 starters go to P5, P5 backups go to G5, and many players who think the grass is greener don’t end up anywhere

2 Likes

With COVID we have guys who are like 5th or 6th year juniors who have completed master’s coursework. They’ve graduated from Miami. They did what we expect of student-athletes who enroll here: earned Miami degrees while playing football. If they want to do graduate work elsewhere—like countless other people who get Miami degrees—then I wish them the best.

8 Likes

Nailed it!

Props to Jalen Walker! He stayed his whole college career, fought through injury, got his BA and Masters and contributed in the win against Ball State in his last home game. Now he gets a bowl trip to Nassau. An NIL endowment should be created for kids like Jalen to reward them at the end of their careers.

3 Likes

RS,

It’s the new world…we have to improve by grabbing our own transfers and selling…“you"ll be an immediate starter.”

That simple…I have little issues with guys that have given 4 years already…and gratitude to a Jalen Walker.

5 Likes

And, as you implied @Skins, the impact of the portal is not going away. Managing outflow against inflow while retaining a developmental base of high school recruits is now critical. College football coaching - the roster management function - has never been more complicated.

75% of DE rotation was 1st year transfers…finding one OL or two should not be hard.

Yes OL takes time to gel, but not a big deal.

Who knows maybe Brekke gets 6th year…move him to center…let Feth go back to 315-320 @ guard…(he’s been a great center, but just a thought).

I never said nor implied that transferring was a bad thing for Danny G. All I said is it didn’t lead to the NFL as I am sure he hoped. Truth is, the MAC has put a lot of OL in the NFL. Hopefully Danny’s foot heals.

Take a good look at the transfer portal. This thing is on fire. What I find most interesting is to see where these kids end up, if they end up anywhere at all. I have no issue with kids who earned their degrees, like Caleb and Brett deciding to move on. I wish Caleb stayed for the bowl game but I understand his not wanting to risk injury. The key here is having a staff that (a) anticipates kids leaving (b) has good lines of communication with their kids so they get as much advance warning as possible (c) are active in the recruiting portal in shoring up areas that need to be addressed (d) having a list constantly in evolution as to who is in the portal that might help us (e) perhaps have a staff member who is dedicated to the portal, much like a recruiting coordinator, or in addition to a recruiting coordinator. Literally thousands of kids will hit the portal . Same applies to basketball.

2 Likes

Sorry, but my response to his news is short–“So.” I was disappointed in the o-line play and especially Caleb and Feth. Could never get a push for a short gain. Don’t just blame the fact that the teams played 7-8 in the box. .Bottom line is our experienced o-lineman were not good enough. And the backups are R-Fr.
Another example of no development in 9 years. Yea, D was good and stayed very good. But o-line and QB position have not been developed–obviously…

3 Likes

Just means Borders or Gavin Rohrs play…likely in Bowl? Thought coaches were really high on Rohrs…and he has more practice time.

He’s (Rohrs) been listed in the two deep for a few weeks.

1 Like

Rohrs has seen action as have Siech, (before he got some sort of injury), Jackson, (more at OT), and don’t forget with have Brekke who could very likely be moved into Caleb’s slot. We will be fine, not that I wouldn’t have minded having Caleb for the bowl game.

1 Like

Yup…that’s what I was thinking. Several guys have been working in, so we should be good.

1 Like

Rohrs was First Team Div 1 All-State on a very good Marysville team which had several Div 1 players. Looks like his inclusion on the first team was warranted (hope).

1 Like