Brett Gabbert post Toledo - Archdeacon

On my 21st birthday up at First Run, my buddy was buying shots and I made him buy one for Big Gino, too. LOL good times. BEAT OHIO.

2 Likes

On my 21st birthday, First Run was still a movie theater! Damn, I feel old!!

I hope youā€™re right. But he has those degrees now and yet there he was.

2 Likes

The last injury like that I remember was Alex Smith he didnā€™t play for like 2 years yeah heā€™s done best case heā€™s still not ready week 1 next year and the starting job might be gone by the time heā€™s ready.

1 Like

Hopefully Brett doesnā€™t have the horrible infections that Alex had.

Smith had some serious complications which required a dozen plus more surgeries. For now, not a great comparison and only hope Brett doesnā€™t have any issues like that.

Matt Edwards in 97 or 98, had a gruesome compound tib/fib fx in a game. He came back and played the following season, so it is definitely possible we see Brett next season if he so desires.

6 Likes

I am not sure anyone on this board knows the exact extent of Brettā€™s injury but I came across an encouraging study that was published in the Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine that studied the outcomes of NFL players after compound fractures.

In summary, most players made full recoveries such that they were able to return the the sport (RTS) with no discernible effects on performance or length of career.

As expected, leg injuries are slower and harder to come back from that upper extremity injuries.

A key factor is avoiding infection which was the major issue for Alex Smith.

However, Dak Prescott returned the next season after a compound ankle fracture in 2020 and is expect to sign another large contract extension.

Hereā€™s wishing Brett a full recovery.

7 Likes

As someone who worked for 15+ years in orthopedics/sports med as a practitioner and managing research studies, @LaxDaddy ā€˜s might be my favorite post ever, lol!

2 Likes

Matt Edwards was 1998 down near the same end zone. I was at that game, too. It took forever for the medical teams to get Matt off the field and stabilized. I felt sorry for the kid.