Bowling Green men at Miami Saturday at 3:30 on ESPN3

Miami came in as a 1 (uno) point fav…at home against a dog-do-do BG team…and with Dalonte back…It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to take Miami in this one…so friggin easy.

1 Like

It was nice to see joy on our players’ faces today. We played really well offensively. When we attack and don’t settle, sharing the ball in the process, we’ll get the rhythm shots we’re looking for. BG isn’t a good defensive team and we went right after them and reaped the rewards in a lot of good looks. Obviously, having Brown back helped immensely, but the overall approach offensively was much better.

Defensively, I thought we were as disruptive as we’ve been this year. We rebounded well though the numbers don’t reflect it because of the last 8 minutes. That being said, I thought BG went away from that high pick and roll that crushed us early in the game. Yes, we did adjust correctly later when they ran it, but BG didn’t run it that much. I’ve never seen Plowden play worse. BG started settling, making it easy on us and giving us more confidence. But still, an improvement overall.

We were fortunate in the last 8 minutes that no one didn’t get hurt. I’m guessing that Coach was thinking he wouldn’t have to put the starters back in and ride the bench to the end. If that’s true, the starters were mentally checked out, which is totally understandable. But having to go back in and ramp up again can be challenging, especially for Brown. I wish he hadn’t gone back in as he was gutting it out today.

Typically, 8-10 is enough to get in the top 8. With 20 conference games and some games not having been rescheduled, I think 9-11 would get us in. Right now, KenPom has us getting to 8-12, which would put us 8th. Can we win at least 3 more? At least a split this week on the road would be tremendous.

2 Likes

Dalonte was plus 18 in like 16 minutes. Great to have hiM back-

Beck was also positive

In a game we won by 16 ICL was -13 in 15 minutes- in fairness he was mostly with bad lineups but. Eli was plus 1 today I believe

Did not watch much…but glad to see Dalonte back…so much better with him in there.

Saw a bit at the 2nd half/end on phone that when up 25 to 30, there was a sequence that we shot like four treys in a row and missed them all (Ayah grabbed rebound at end of sequence)…not a big deal given the score, but a mentality thing I don’t like…BG ended up closing it to 15 to 18 points.

Anyway nice win…if Dalonte can stay somewhat healthy, Beck contribute and ELI, yes ELI played like he did…the couple minutes I saw he was playing hard (must have read this board). Obviously, Mehki and DD just need to play their best games, as well…and maybe we can get to that all exciting 500…and make it to Cleveland.

Over 4,900 in attendance on Saturday, that provided a nice atmosphere. The athletic department had a lot of promotions and worked hard to get a good crowd and it was nice to see both teams perform at a high level. That is the second time this year ( UC) that we have had a big crowd, This one was not because the team has been playing well or we were playing a bigtime opponent, just some good work done by the athletic department. Watching a triple header sweep in front of nice and enthusiastic crowds was my highlight of the winter sports season.

6 Likes

Wow, nearly 5K for a February game against BG featuring a 10-13 Miami team? Nice marketing indeed! Especially glad we won.

2 Likes

Spending some hush money…LOL.

PS we are paying students to come right?

4700 is a great crowd, but tickets were free and students had a chance to win $500 from a donor. But glad we are healthy and playing better. Let’s see if we can keep the momentum going.

I dont think it is fair to say we are paying students to come to games. We have some neat giveaways.

Did it seem like there was 4,700 on Saturday? It didnt seem that full on tv- maybe more like 2,500

I think Miami counts “eyeballs” so that accounts for a doubling of any “crowd.” size.

1 Like

I estimated 4,000 during the first half of the men’s game, but in thinking about it the women’s game had the biggest crowd of the year and I am sure many of them left after their game.

In college, that’s equivalent to ~paying…or maybe bribing…come on 900 in seat to 4,700, I’d say 95% of that increase is for the 500$ potential, ha. Were there a bunch of students?

Smart, but also a bit comical. At least they got treated to a big win this time and maybe that spreads some love/word.

1 Like

P5 programs give away full scholarships during halftime. Giving away $500 is comical but making a student sink a half court shot to avoid $30,000 in student debt isn’t?

The athletic department gets a huge turnout for a game and people here complain. Nobody shows up and everyone complains the athletic department isn’t being creative enough.

8 Likes

As long as what they’re doing is legal, I say do what it takes to get butts in the seats. Loud is loud.

4 Likes