Billy Smith

Named first team all-county by coaches.

And…Will he stay?

You would hope Sayler’s first couple calls would be to Smith and Mitchell Rylee. The real question is if their late season play has attracted any buzzards. I still think they both have a lot to offer this program.

Do we know if these players are signed or just verbals?

At this point we probably should brace ourselves for a significant roster turnover. I doubt the next coach will be satisfied with what is here

1 Like

It’s worth noting that even though they’re signed, it would be considered extremely bad form to not release them following a coaching change if they ask out.

3 Likes

Chosen as one of Hoosier Basketball Magazine’s Top 60.

1 Like

Top 60 is an honor, I guess, but I doubt the Senior class in Indiana has 60 players good enough to play at the MAC or higher level.

1 Like

The magazine has its set of categories it uses to evaluate. I guess “good enough to play in the MAC” isn’t one of them. There are about 1500 seniors, so this is their top 4%. Marr Avance was in last year’s group.

1 Like

The Indiana All Star team hasn’t been announced yet. So this is the smallest list we have so far.

1 Like

The “Supreme 15” is the top honor as players are voted to that group without regard to school size. The large school all-state teams are for players from Class 3A and 4A schools and the small school group from Class A and 2A schools.

2 Likes

Well hopefully he’s being re-recruited hard…type of player we have not had in awhile in potential pure shooter, that also has athleticism and length.

Lairy is a pure shooter, but 5-8…this kid is 6-6. Kamari I think could be considered one, but maybe struggles with strength…looked to be getting better with that at end of year…

Otherwise, most of our players, have been good ballers that try to become shooters it seems.

And who exactly would be doing the re-recruiting right now?
It’s a serious question. I’m not sure how this would be handled between the release of the old coach and the hiring of the new coach.

Typically the Athletic Director or assistant ADs designated to Basketball.

1 Like

Top 15 is a much better award than top 60, and is the type of award that we should expect from a Miami recruit. Being in the top 60 does not mean that you are not a MAC level player, but if you are rated #52 I think that would be a strong negative. Of course you could also be rated # 4 and be in the top 60, so there is that. I feel much better about being in the top 15.

1 Like

Class 3a player of the year in Indiana!

2 Likes

Hopefully someone in the AD’s office is re-recruiting him until a new coach is announced.

1 Like

Dumbest censorship ever…I was just hoping he has a coach…and hope there’s a connection that’s being established.

Since I have not seen anything to the contrary I assume still headed this way. Great news about Steele!

FWIW, Billy Smith retweeted Travis Steele’s tweet thanking Miami for his hire and for the presser.

3 Likes

Named to Indy Star Central Indiana Super Team. One of 15.