Big Trouble In Lexington

I knew Calipari was starting to go the way of old stinky cheese on a hot July day in Paree, but this is unexpected. Rumor mill saying he’s going to Arkansas. All I can think is he knew it was time to move on before the blue mob turned on him.

ESPN breaking news at 11:51pm on Sun Night in Ohio is reporting it. Good for Calipari!

1 Like

Looking forward to Danny Hurley in Lexington on Tuesday

2 Likes

Maybe it was time. He’d kinda plateaued in Lex. I wish Charlie had won that game against him. Was pretty much ours. Oh well.

2 Likes

So… next year or 2 years before UK goes on probation for something from years ago?

6 Likes

Been a strange off season. Nothing would suprise me at this point. Shot, next U.K. coach could be Bob Huggins and I’d not bat an eye.

Some guy on Bluesky called it days ago

1 Like

Then he’s just stealing my material as wrote it before him on our forum after they lost. I didn’t list his next school though because I don’t dabble in the occult.
Ps, Pitino comes back? Gives them a couple years to reset and find the next upstart.

1 Like

I hope not. But that’s gonna be a lot of zeros Danny is gonna have to turn down if he does.

Word is they’ll go after Nate Oates but he’s got an 8 figure buyout

Rumor mill says billy Donovan might be interested in a return to the college game. Would be terrible for the game if he went to UK

1 Like

That sounded like you, Yellow. Some people are shameless.

1 Like

Those UK fans are absolute rascals. I was hacked off about it, but as a gossip reporter, I had a job to do that helped keep my emotions at bay.

1 Like

Maybe the Marshall job will open up for Billy?

Level playing field.

https://x.com/on3nil/status/1778774082600763573?s=12

NIL is the place where we are theoretically level with anyone else. Miami certainly has alumni with enough cash to create a $4 million NIL fund for basketball. Whether those alumni want to is another question.

The media deals and whatnot, on the other hand, MAC schools can’t compete at all.

1 Like

I think a study was shared on here ranking MU in the top 20 schools in the US for having “ultra rich” alums - defined as $30M+ net worth. It’s there but has not been displayed by their philanthropy toward any part of MU - esp athletics. With that type of wealth, MU could in fact compete in P5 both in NIL and general budget support.

3 Likes

Have there ever been any studies produced on what percentage of boosters are alumni vs fans with no other association to the university?

Something else that might be impactful is how many of Kentucky’s NIL boosters live within a close enough distance to attend and be actively involved in the university/athletics vs how many Miami alums with considerable wealth are. I would venture a guess that a lot of those boosters grew up in old money families with horse racing ties in or around Lexington, have been UK fans their whole life, went to school there and now reside there. That kind of proximity probably leads to a much greater likelihood of donating.

1 Like

That’s absolutely part of the equation. Schools in small markets with small alumni bases will need to find a way to monetize their assets quickly. The Clemsons, Mississippi St, Auburns, etc. will not have a chance in this new world order unless they get out in front now.
MU could compete but I’m not sure they get it and are under the impression they’ll never be able to compete. They have many assets that could be built and monetized but…?