Big Ben leaving after his junior season

For fans around in 2003, was it a foregone conclusion that Ben would leave for the NFL? If so when did that become clear? And if he stayed for 2004, how would the team have done with him at QB instead of Josh Betts?

2 Likes

The certainty Ben would leave grew as the season progressed and obviously cemented after we whipped Louisville. I think if he came back, we’d have had a very similar type of season in 2004.

4 Likes

Like MUHawk said, it became more and more likely he was leaving with each win. I think he announced his decision right after the bowl game. Even without him we went 8-5 with a trip to Detroit. I think with him we’d have been ranked to start the season and won 10+ games again.

1 Like

it became clear to me as he dropped his head as he exited the bowl game and approached Hep

1 Like

I remember during a game at the old Goggin (either after the Marshall game or the night after the MACC) the entire student section broke out in a “ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR!” chant as he walked by. He laughed and kind of nodded to the crowd and as soon as the chant ended I thought “Yeah, he’s not coming back.”

2 Likes

We were so hot going into the bowl game that I remember thinking the risk of not duplicating it his senior year was too great for him to come back. I found 2004 disappointing at the time and have many times mentally apologized to Hep and Betts as the years since have unfolded.

1 Like

I came to the conclusion he wasn’t coming back late in the Marshall game. Wind was blowing so hard they weren’t sure if they could finish the game. Still temporary lights back then, and only rated to 40 or 50 mph. Ben’s passes were on the mark with a little flutter rather than a tight spiral. Marshall QB couldn’t hit his receivers - all over the place. Figured that solidified it for the scouts that his arm was strong and accurate.

2 Likes

Still disappointed that the Ben era was squandered so quickly after he left. I thought they were positioned to become a dynasty after the season ended with the Louisville win.

3 Likes

That team had a terrific OL, weapons and Defense (especially LB’s and DBs). Guys like Nance and Robinson were amazing

5 Likes

would have liked to have attempted the field goal there. I know we are shaky there, but a good opportunity to give much needed at bats to a place where we need improvement.

Wrong thread lol

wrong thread

Not many people know this, but Hoeppner choosing not to go for the field goal against Louisville is actually what made Ben decide to leave.

2 Likes

In my opinion that 2003 Miami team was one of the 3 best Miami teams ever. As Nick said, they had terrific players at just about every position and outstanding coaching.

1 Like

We would not lost a game if he came back

1 Like

Maybe one at most

Michigan was really good that year and we lost by a lot. Don’t know if even a senior Big Ben would be enough to get it within serious contention.

1 Like

It was 24-10 in the 4th quarter and we had 1st and 10 in their red zone. We threw a pick 6 and melted down afterward. Almost everyone was back offensively so I think it would’ve been competitive throughout.

1 Like

I agree with most of the comments above. The general consensus on campus is that he was gone. Especially after the MAC championship game. There was a lot of media hype around him which was rare for a mid-major school. There was also the Sports Illustrated campus edition that Ben was on the cover of. But that might have been after he declared for the draft. Either way, I have a signed copy.

Ryne Robinson abused them on punt returns. There was a phantom penalty that called back either a PR for a TD or inside the 10.

1 Like