Battle for the Victory Bell Going Away

7 Likes

Piss on the Victory Bell? I think not!

2 Likes

This picture warms my heart.

2 Likes

UC will keep throwing an occasional neutral site game at us until they win then the Bell which will be at UC forever.

The College Football Hall of Fame needs to create a permanent exhibit featuring all the trophies from the rivalries that greed killed. The bell should be part of that exhibit.

6 Likes

Cincinnati has replaced our game with Bowling Green in 2025

:sob:

1 Like

Curious to see what UC is paying them

See FBSchedules.com

They report $975.000.
They also report ā€œ 5 contests vs Miami Oh have been cancelledā€?

Keep the damn Bell. Periodā€¦ if this is true.

To be fair, UC has an outstanding medical school. This could be their chance to get up close to a population with the highest amount of STDā€™s, outside of The Villages, and see how their new bubble gum penicillin works to eliminate the clap and other diseases

5 Likes

You win. We all win.

Thus begins the Battle for the Loser Bell series.

Afraid of us?

I donā€™t think fear is at the top of the list but it is on it. P4s schedule G5s to get a home game, a payday and a win.

I think it is realistic to believe that we wil be in the top half of our league the substantial majority of years. What UC will be in the Big 12 over the long haul is much less certain.

The difference between the average of the top half of the MAC and the middle of the Big 12 is about two touchdowns. On their home field that translates to us winning 10% of the time(at Yaeger we would win just over 20%). If they play other MAC teams not named Toledo I think they can expect a higher winning percentage.

From 1909 through 1970 all but two of the Victory Bell games were played at Nippert Stadium.

1 Like

Odd! I wonder if itā€™s because Olde Miami Field couldnā€™t host big enough crowds. But then they were able to? Chuck Yeager wasnā€™t built till ā€˜83. What changed?

Miami Field seated about 15,000. When Yager opened in 83, it seated about 28,000. Now it has been reduced to 24,000+ā€¦ End zone seating was removed reducing capacity.

2 Likes

Yes, Miami Field seated 14,900. Upon completion, Yager seated 25,183 IIRC. Then, when the NCAA relaxed attendance requirements (to maintain IA status) if your stadium seated 30K, Miami stuck in temporary bleachers in the corners and upped the capacity.

After renovations to Yager (new student side and Cradle Plaza), the capacity was reduced to around 24K as it is today.

1 Like

You are correct, Doug. That explains why our all-time record crowds against Marshall exceeded 30,000. Itā€™s a damn shsme we canā€™t fill 24,000 now for just three nice weather month Saturdays a year.

1 Like