Baseball vs Oakland Series

Currently up 21-2 in the top of the 7th. Zaborowski has 2 homers one of which he absolutely destroyed the ball.

4 Likes

Also their only two runs were on a steal of home and a balk

Game 1 ends 21-7 RedHawks win

Wow. No wonder the A’s are leaving Oakland.

5 Likes

He is a big league prospect. Amazing talent.

Miami gets the sweep with a 17-9 win. Zaborowski with his 4th home run of the season today

2 Likes

I think this team is gonna surprise people. The new talent they picked up plus new staff is top notch.

5 Likes

When the tear ERA gets down to and stays below 4.0 is when things will get better.

I looked this up because that seems like a very low ERA for college baseball. A sub 4 ERA would put Miami as a top 50 team in the country. Lots of room for improvement though - quite a few pitchers with double or triple their career ERA, so I expect them to improve as they get into a grove.

4 Likes

Yep. Top 50 should be our goal. We used to be in that group routinely.

This is what I started to wonder about. With baseball only allowed to distribute 11.7 scholarships across the whole team, I’m assuming there are coaching philosophies about focusing those around pitchers vs fielders. Is the offensive explosion a result of focusing those scholarships on offense? And hoping the pitching can just do “well enough?” Looks like a large number of new transfers were fielders, but the pitching transfers have started to perform after the USC series. I just don’t follow college baseball enough to know the nuances of roster composition.

A bit off topic, but the roster seems particularly large.

1 Like

I mean recently our pitching has been our strong suit. In the last 3 seasons we’ve had 7 players drafted/signed undrafted and all were pitchers

There are some strange issues with baseball scholarships. Most of the 11 scholarships aren’t full ones. Most are partial - 1/4; 1/3 or 1/2. Most regular contributors get a piece of the pie. Some programs, like UNCW (North Carolina) also limit the number of out of state scholarships because of actual cost to the university. That does seem strange but it’s true. Fortunately for UNCW, Carolina is a hotbed of high school talent.

Our ERA last season was atrocious. We gave up double digit runs in 18 games.

Yeah the issue was way too many walks. There was a point in the season we were 2nd in the NCAA in strikeouts and dead last in walks allowed. Looks like a similar issue this year

1 Like

https://x.com/macsports/status/1764690157964288285?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

2 Likes

Might be nice if they put his name somewhere on this meme. Just sayin’

I was literally thinking that. Guess they assumed the Twitter handle was enough?

1 Like