Bally Sports Bankrupcy

Certainly sounds like it could negatively impact a lot of teams. Almost $1.5 billion short on team fees for this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-25/sports-broadcaster-diamond-faces-8-6-billion-debt-reckoning

Or could be a window for MLB to take back some TV rights and push towards streaming options for local markets.

1 Like

This is likely why Arte Moreno has decided not to sell the Angels for now–the team depends heavily on the revenue stream from Bally Sports West, and that’s a huge question now.

This is not something I wanted to hear. I really enjoyed watching the Guardians develop last year and by the end of the year they were really good. A very young team, I am interested to see if those first and second year guys get better this year or fall back. Bally Sports seemingly covered every game that was not on a network or a couple of games which were streamed only. That is 6 months of almost daily baseball games and provided great entertainment for me. I also get the Tigers and Reds games every day, but the Guardians are so much more interesting.

1 Like

If anything, this gives Apple TV more of a platform to become the major broadcaster of MLB year round, including the playoffs and World Series. Apple TV is not getting the NFL, at least grab one of the major sports and spread the money around. The 26 or so smaller market teams could then move into a potential “Revenue Sharing” model since they can’t draw the TV money like NY, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, and LA.

I’d watch more MLB if all the games were on one single platform and I didn’t have to switch around all over multiple networks. If there’s a rainout, click over to another game.

1 Like

I’d watch more games if Morganna was still around.

1 Like

Tomorrow is Opening Day and I am going with my fiends Jim T and Pete N. This will be Jim’s 53rd consecutive Red’s Opening Day. I checked my TV menu and I see The Tigers game and the Guardians games listed as being televised by Bally Sports but do not see the Reds game listed. Does anybody know what is happening with daily tv coverage of these teams this season?

1 Like

Ballys decided “Love After Lockup” would get higher ratings than the Reds.

1 Like

Nothing notable has happened since they filed for bankruptcy. Reds game still on the guide for tomorrow in Cincy.
The Padres have reportedly received reassurance that the network will make it’s annual payment by the deadline tonight. San Diego was in the group that was a possiblity of being cancelled all together along with Arizona, Cincy and Cleveland. That could be a positive sign that they will make payments to the other three as well or if they take it on a case by case basis.

1 Like

Agree wholeheartedly with you, Dick. I know the Reds aren’t that good, but it is relaxing for me to come home from work and watch the games on Bally. This is not the news we want to hear.

Yeah, it was not listed yesterday morning when I checked, but it is listed now. So I happen to live 2 hours from Cincy, 3 hours from Detroit, and 4 hours from Cleveland and we get all the games for all 3 teams, so that is a relief, although I guess we don’t know yet if this will last.

1 Like

Opening Day at the Taft Ale House

4 Likes

More Opening Day

2 Likes

Looking like MLB is heading to Amazon Prime