B(f)UCKEYE NIL

What would you know about the NESCAC?

/checks username

Oh!

How to get to every rink and baseball field from Colby to Hamilton.

1 Like

Back in the 1980’s and 1990’s when I worked with development people in both ICA and on the academic side, there was an unwritten rule that certain alums were the exclusive domain of one side of the university…and the vast majority were claimed by the academic side and ICA was “not allowed” to solicit there individuals as they were “off limits” to ICA solicitation.

Perhaps (and hopefully) that policy has disappeared; to the extent it hasn’t, that may explain some of the current consternation about fundraising targeting ICA needs. To be clear, I do not know the current policy.

3 Likes

It’s like “hey back off. It’s our job to tell people how to spend their money!”
Look, on some level it makes sense as you don’t want to constantly ask the same person for money (fundraising fatigue) but the idea that the donor shouldn’t be made aware of all needs to then decide how they might want to spend their own money is first class silly.

I doubt many people in the country know Amherst or Williams college. It doesnt matter for the students because the ones that do matter (employers) certainly know.

As example years ago - maybe 25 years ago- the Company I worked for’s Controller was making fun of our CEO for going to Amherst because he had never heard of it and thought it was referring to a small college in a neighborhood town. I had to explain to him (two levels above me at that time) that actually it was a prestigious school in the Northeast

1 Like

I once told a UC graduate who was ranting about “useless majors” that Wall Street, Silicon Valley and the blue-chip agencies in our federal government would walk over a thousand UC business majors to interview that History or Philosophy major from Middlebury. He refused to believe it and insisted that they all ended up driving cabs. He also refused to believe that there was no such thing as an undergraduate business major at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Chicago or Stanford.

2 Likes

Yet the number of schools shedding core liberal arts curriculum continues to grow.

1 Like

I once spent a 1/2 day at Williams College - it has a world class art museum that is better than museums in most major metropolitan cities.

2 Likes

Are they shedding “core” liberal arts programs like History or Political Science? Or are they doing things like Miami is doing and shedding peripheral, low-enrollment programs that Miami probably should have never bitten off in the first place? Was a Russian Area Studies major really a fit for Miami? Did we really ever have the faculty resources across multiple departments and a nationally known department in language and literature to really make that work? Some adjustments and recalibrations should be welcome. Cutting “core” departments though? Good luck with that because that’s a one-way ticket to becoming a trade school instead of a comprehensive, quality university.

2 Likes

I think it’s a bad idea as well but it’s absolutely happening. I see articles about it all the time. Here’s one someone sent me yesterday. Ps, I’m not a political person so I would assume each school has a reason. Maybe economically driven.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/24/us/florida-universities-sociology.html#:~:text=In%20November%2C%20the%20board%20of,a%20period%20of%20public%20comment.

My kid was looking for a summer job here in NC while he was in college. He told the manager of the Taco Bell he went to Hamilton College. She assumed it was another online for-profit school. She had no need to know. The kids who graduate from those colleges -and the elite schools Blues mentioned -are used to that. They know the people in important hiring positions do know about their alma maters.

This is a pick I took of the last AB I ever saw my kid have in college baseball in May 2016 at Williams. He drilled the next pitch off the Ephs pitcher into the gap in left center for a double. A great way to close it all out for a dad!

One of the bench players for Williams that day was Cyrus Beschloss, the son of noted Presidential historian Michael Beschloss.

2 Likes