Arizona State: series

Robby Drazner puts Miami on the board first in game 2, 1-0 halfway through the first!

2 Likes

We deserve to get the sweep just based on the two uniforms involved in this game.

1 Like

Seriously. Those are some ugly uniforms.

1 Like

I get what they’re trying to do. They’re copying Michigan and Penn State by trying to make their hockey uniforms look like their football uniforms. But the maroon and yellow combo works more for football for some reason. It looks horrible on the ice.

1-1 after 2

Two dumb too many men penalties almost back to back led to 50 seconds of 3 on 5, but a good job to kill off both, still 1-1 with 7 minutes left

Heading to OT again

Edit since I can’t respond again:

1-1 tie is the final after OT. Looks like they’ll do a shootout for fun though

Lost the shootout, but didn’t matter. 1-0-1 against a ranked team is a good weekend. Would have been nice to get a sweep, but after being down 3 in the 3rd period of the first game you certainly can’t complain.

7 Likes

Great weekend of Miami sports w hockey team playing well and football getting gritty win over the Kittens in Athens.

1 Like

For the Pairwise comparison, needed the tie at least, tonight. Solid weekend.

Keeping fingers crossed that we’re talking Pairwise come February.

3 Likes

There’s no quit and no stupidity ( as in getting chippy) in this team!

I had to leave for work after the first, but caught bits off the rest of the game. It would have been nice to get the shootout win, but still a good weekend! We need to carry this momentum into conference play…I have low expectations of doing much big in the conference, but it would be really nice to get out of the basement, at least!

It drives me nuts that they do shootouts that are absolutely meaningless.

1 Like

The NCHC uses a shoot out if the game is is till tied after the 3 on 3 OT. The shoot out winner gets 2 standings points, the loser,1 point.It’s different from league to league. If coaches agree they can do do a
“ meaningless” shoot out which is basically for practice.

1 Like

I like that they get the practice since once we get to NCHC play we’re gonna have to scratch and claw for every point we can

It did make me mad they didn’t use Ryan Sullivan as a shooter, bc he was insane in the open practice last month- he had like 4 shootout goals in a row

1 Like

I’ve been anti-shootout forever, and moreso when it’s for absolutely nothing like this one.

It drives me batshit crazy that fans will sit through a 2 1/2-hour game and leave the rink thinking their team won or lost based on a meaningless skills competition in a non-conference game. Even the players seem oblivious to the fact it’s for nothing. I know it’s announced that the game is officially a tie, and yes, I guess fans should know the rules, but let’s face it: The rules constantly change and 90 percent of fans don’t understand they’re watching a demonstration.

The NCAA hates ties. I get it. But it also realizes shootout impact should be minimal, thus limiting it to leagues allowing it for a bonus standings point. So basically college hockey wants to have its cake and eat it too.

As for gaining experience, this is something that can be practiced during practice any time and often is.

Arizona State is joining the league next year and has two young goalies that Miami will be facing several times, so I’m not giving them any free scouting on my players’ breakaway tendencies.

The NCAA was originally reluctant to go away from 5x5 for overtime with no skills contests when the NHL went 4x4, and Josh Fenton said on the record at the time the NCAA believed it underscores the importance of the 60-minute game and it also didn’t want a seperate set of rules for the first 60 minutes vs. any subsequent play.

I was actually advocating for 4-on-4 OTs and still am. The NHL ran a training camp going 4x4 for four minutes and 3x3 for four more if a winner wasn’t determined, and if no one scores after eight minutes, call it a tie. I still like that idea.

It’s certainly better than having paying fans go home (or uptown to get wasted) confused about the simplest and most fundamental concept in sport: Wins, losses and ties.

[/soapbox]

3 Likes

For the first time in I would imagine quite sometime, Miami received votes (5) in the Top 20. We are currently #30.

7 Likes

And we’re playing St Cloud at their barn this weekend. They are sporting an under .500 record. .(2-4:):1-1 at St.Thomas,0-2 at Minn.State, 1-1 vs Alaska Fairbanks at St Cloud. All non conference foes.

Time for a Lurker reality check. We are not #30 as there is no such thing. The correct way to read this is we are outside the top 20 but receiving votes.

I know, I know…Mr. Buzzkill. I agree, however, it’s a heckuva lot better than not getting any love at all.

Back to lurking.

Lurker, well said. Ps happy Halloween. I would imagine you go as The Lurker which likely means your costume is the same as your icon although maybe you allow for some seasonal variation such as a parrot and eye patch ie: “Lurker pirate” for instance. Thoughts?

I go as a Lurker Redhawk.

Back to lurking.

2 Likes