Appalachian State Mountaineers Football

Started this thread as an ongoing discussion of the App State program.

The final score of App’s loss to Troy was misleading. The game, played on Troy’s field in a steady, heavy, cold rain, was a balanced defensive struggle for three quarters. The first quarter ended scoreless…

The third quarter ended 21-17 Troy with App ready to go for it on fourth and inches at the 50. After the quarter break, App immediately got called for motion, killing their drive.

After receiving the punt Troy drove down the field and took a 28-17 lead with a TD at 10:51.

On App’s first play after the kickoff, Troy pulled off a strip sack, fumble recovery for a TD - making it 35-17 -completely changing the tone of the game.

App then drove to the one but had a false start. The QB fumbled into the end zone on the next play but . App recovered it for a TD to close it to 35-23 at 5:32. App went for two and didn’t get it.

Former Miami back-up punter Connor Maynard then tried an onside kick - unsuccessfully. Troy then moved the ball 40 yards in about six plays for another TD, making it 42-23 at 4:30.

App moved the ball to midfield but their QB was strip sacked again at 3:38. Troy immediately ripped off a 51 yard TD run to make the final score 49-23.

Troy is solid. Their only losses this year were a competitive game at Kansas State and a two point loss to JMU.

App QB Joey Aguilar is a 6’3 220 pound Northern California kid who is currently tied with Michael
Penix, Jr for third in most passing touchdowns behind Jayden Daniels and Bo Nix.

App started the year strong with an FCS win over a solid Gardner-Webb team, a tough 2OT loss at UNC, and a win over ECU. They then lost a one score game at Wyoming on a Cowboys blocked FG returned for an TD. App woke up after two more close losses to Coastal and to ODU and won out, handing JMU its only loss on the season in OT.

This will be a tough opponent! Forget their record. They will bring alot of fans too.

2 Likes

Well said. Should be a good game

They’ll be lots of them on those CLT-MCO flights, I’m sure. They routinely pack 30k seat Kidd Brewer Stadium even though they’re about 90 minutes from the closest urban center - Winston-Salem.

1 Like

Kidd Brewer Stadium - at 3,300 feet it’s the highest elevation stadium east of the Rockies…

3 Likes

We complain about Oxford being “remote” but Boone is remote. Also their students support football at App State unlike ours. About the same enrollment & Boone is about the size of Oxford.

3 Likes

In the past 20 years, App St has 11 conference championships, a 6-1 bowl record and 3 FCS national championships. Shouldn’t be a shocker they’ve built strong fan support.

3 Likes

Validating the theory that solid student and alumni support is based on winning, not on mediocrity and definitely not on a tradition of losing.

1 Like

Nice looking stadium…looks like they may have luxury suites or at least some indoor seating for fans. You will often see Boone, NC listed among best places to live in the NC mountains.

1 Like

Their top RB has entered the portal

Sign him

There is a new interview with HC Shawn Clark on the App State Football Facebook page. He mentions the Mountaineers are trying to deal with finals this week, as well. Clark mentions his experience in the MAC and said he is well aware of the Miami program. He was on the Kent State coaching staff from 2013-2015.

I’m guessing they’ll have some fans show up in Orlando!

I hoe Miami won’t be out numbered too badly.

We’ve got a lot of retired alumns in central Florida.

1 Like

We also have a lot of regular alums in Cincy and Dayton and that doesnt seem to help us

3 Likes

Good point! App has a tradition of turning out at the stadium. Our recent tradition of nearby attendance has been more meh…like “it might sprinkle so I think I’ll go grocery shopping and maybe someone will mention our score later on WLW or WHIO.”

KB stadium is very nice and a spectacular setting for FB. Don’t recall how many but they have quite a few suites and two clubs I believe (sideline and endzone). Great fans and in middle of nowhere. Miami prob has 4x as many alums within an hr drive. 1. Win 2. Students 3. Fan amenities&experience. Great traditions

1 Like

There are a lot of Miami Alum in Central Florida, but the Alumni Club has been pretty quiet the last couple of years.
My wife went to a sparsely attended ‘game watch’ two years ago.
Fun, but intimate gathering.
Last year, saw the Glee Club at a church in Orlando.
No local alum club promotion.
Nice concert.
But, seemed that there were just a few actual Miamians in attendance.
Mostly parishioners of that particular church.

• My wife and I…